TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

PTDF ABANDON 2016/2017 LSS SCHOLARS FOR 11 MONTHS

By LSS SCHOLARS

Last year we rejoiced with our families and colleagues when we were shortlisted for this scholarship. As awardees of the prestigious PTDF scholarship, we felt welcomed and proud to be among the brightest minds during the three day (15th-17th July, 2016) induction ceremony held at the PTDF towers in Abuja.

We were mandated to secure admission into any Nigerian university and tender copies of the admission letters to PTDF before the scholarship could take effect. Some of the Postgraduate beneficiaries had to source out for loans to settle their tuition fees for 2016/2017 academic session in anticipation for a payback with the PTDF grant but to our shock nothing has been paid for the last 11 months and already PTDF management is making efforts for the 2017/2018 scholarship aptitude test. We are currently threatened by our individual schools not to allow us write exams, defends proposals and projects.

We will like to state clearly our displeasure to how we have been neglected by PTDF management. This is exactly about 330 days and we are tired of the unfulfilled promises by the management. PTDF management have made all possible efforts to pay our colleagues that were sent abroad for their master’s degree (OSS scholars). Their payments of school fees has been made and their stipends all paid. If we look at the amount PTDF spend on one OSS Scholar is enough to cater for 20 LSS Scholars, probably because the management don't want to be disgraced internationally thereby, all efforts are put in place to meet up to their demands.

We were told along the line that it is because of the CBN policy on TSA, but we all know that it is easy to process domestic funds transactions than oversees transaction and we are tired of several futile documentation process. The LSS Scholars have virtually done atleast three or more documentation on different occasions just for this scholarship, this can only mean that PTDF has no database or something is fishy somewhere. We will recommend that the management should recruit new brains that can design a good database for them.

We will quote a statement made by the Executive Secretary, Dr. Bello Aliyu Gusau, "He said however that PTDF will not succeed in the attempt to domesticate its training activities without a solid partnership with the universities in order to sustain the quality and integrity of the academic training programmes offered to the students. According to him overseas scholarship scheme is not sustainable therefore they will put more efforts to sponsoring and developing local content. We will categorically state that this is but a public statement, because if the management actually are serious with what they said on media, we will not be calling the attention of well-meaning Nigerians and the presidency.

Finally if the management are not set to pay our funds they should come out to the public and declare that they have cancel our scholarship and state reasons and let every poor Nigerian know that the country has no capacity to sponsor his/her education in any way.

Your Comment

Peter | 6/21/2017 9:51:00 AM
This is so unfair. Just image the Country will are leaving in. I just wonder how this Country can get better when the leaders of tomorrow are treated this way.
Grace | 6/21/2017 10:07:00 AM
The presidency needs to hear about this.... what type of a country is this
Jude | 6/21/2017 10:08:00 AM
Most unfortunate! PTDF lured people into quitting their jobs to do Masters and Ph.D only for them to abandon them without anything for several months now. This is just so unfair, and the relevant authorities should as a matter of urgency and national security look into the matter.
Yahaya | 6/21/2017 10:21:00 AM
What shame, a very big shame
Haryawshe | 6/21/2017 10:49:00 AM
What a fiasco indeed! PTDF Must be sanctioned. The appropriate authorities should investigate into the root of the matter and the wrath of the law should be immediately unleashed upon any PTDF official found guilty of frustrating the scholars. Where on earth apart from Nigeria do you hear of highly disheartening news of how students are being deceived and put into series of hardships. The Good Lord will surely not let the scholars down. Continue to voice out Ur pains.
Dave | 6/21/2017 10:52:00 AM
What a shame!! I think we should keep circulating it until it gets to the rightful authority
Meeee | 6/21/2017 10:58:00 AM
PTDF should be duly investigated with incompetent and corrupt staffs removed, they fully paid the overseas scholars who we all know won't come back to the country to add value as they will prefer staying back to seek better opportunities. The scholars in the Nigerian Universities who will add value to the country have not been paid for close to a year, for God sake what kind of confused country are we???????? A country that prefers wastage to prudency, adding manpower to other countries at the expense of ours country
Ilorin boy | 6/21/2017 11:04:00 AM
I see PTDF as one of the most currupt parastatals in Nigeria, I wish u guys could check out the expensive cars parked by the staffs around the tower, you will keep asking questions "are these civil servants?", cars that I don't think even federal permanent secretaries can afford........
Gbenga | 6/21/2017 11:08:00 AM
Truth is, I can't imagine any justifiable reason for non-payment. If they could have afforded paying those overseas whose scholarship amounts to about 10 times that of a local scholarship, then i guess it is safe to say that it is just an intentional act of corruption. Maybe the money is lying helplessly in someone's account. SHAME TO PTDF.
Alejo | 6/21/2017 11:27:00 AM
Hahaha PTDF is that one scholarship...
Mayor | 6/21/2017 2:38:00 PM
Hmmm Nigeria we hail thee.... PTDF pay up these students o, they need the money for their studies....or una don put am for fixed deposit n d tin dey yield interest
Concerned Scholar | 6/21/2017 3:23:00 PM
Dear All, Scholars being sponsored by the Delta State Government under the state's First Class Scholarship Scheme. The scheme is managed by the Delta State Bursary and Scholarship Board, Asaba. They have carried out several verification exercises, but funds are yet to be released. The board is currently incommunicado. Go to change.org, search for the petitions written by scholars under this scheme and read about their plight. It is heart-wrenching.
Maid | 6/21/2017 3:55:00 PM
The EFCC needs to be alerted, let ptdf explain where the money is almost a year after awarding the scholarship
Abdullahi A. | 6/21/2017 4:13:00 PM
Our Dearest country Nigeria, This is not suppose to be happening to our own home based scholars. It is no new news that some of these scholars have borrowed money to pay the tuition fees as PTDF has asked them to pay the tuition fees before they can paid. They did but almost a year now nothing for them. I know of a case that one scholar was taking to police for refusal to pay back a lone of N200,000 he took to pay his tuition fees and get accommodation for himself for studies. How do you pay for such embarrassment caused to these fellow human being? Remember he needs to feed himself, how do he do that? You have no idea. Keeping quit to these scholars push them into so many hardship you won't want for yourself or kids. I pray and hope that the management of PTDF will look into these issue and fast track their payments if not, Kindly inform them if they won't be paid so that those that can continue with the studies can continue.
Osas | 6/21/2017 4:22:00 PM
PTDF should pay up the scholarships they awarded or come out to say why it hasn't disbursed funds instead of repeatedly asking for information they already have. The nonsense has to stop.
Joe | 6/21/2017 7:25:00 PM
Truth is issues like this can only be found in Africa where leaders pay lip service to a critical sector like education. This makes me wonder always if we the blacks are cursed.
Mr. T. O. Magu | 6/22/2017 9:02:00 AM
This is 11 months now since we were awarded this scholarship and our OSS colleagues have been paid and almost rounding up their programs. (M.Sc) while the LSS scholars are yet to be paid. Too too bad. Some of us has collected loans to pay part of our fees to enable us write exams or present proposals and the interest is increasing.
muhammad | 6/22/2017 4:37:00 PM
This is really a pity.11 months now but yet no pay.Most of us if not all collected loan to pay our school fees hoping that one day Ptdf will pay us back.The last time i called their care centre,they gave me an excuse that it is lack of proper handing over that causes the serious delay,that everything have been solved now and that we will soon be paid.I said in two months time,the lady laughed saying no no,by july.i said okoo.lets hope so.
koolp | 6/26/2017 6:53:00 PM
What presidency has to hear they are all corrupt from head to toe i am quite sure the medical bill of our president for a day or two will settle the whole LSS masters scholars. what a shameful act by our Govt. this are people who wen to school wen dey eat with meal tickets 50 kobo, 10 kobo u were treated like Kings and Queens with Fat drum sticks of chicken laps. Assurance of Jobs after Graduation with executive quarters and official cars. Now with the Current rate of unemployment, you Got Youths who are still willing to study, Young at heart and vibrant and yet No support what a Black Government
koolp | 6/26/2017 6:53:00 PM
pls help add me to the PTDF MSC LSS Group
koolp | 6/26/2017 6:54:00 PM
08062279733 whatsapp Group