TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Boko Haram Kills 29 In Bama, Abducts 10 Chinese Construction Workers In Gwoza

Source: thewillnigeria.com
Listen to article

SAN FRANCISCO, May 17, (THEWILL) â€' Boko Haram gunmen Saturday launched a fresh onslaught on a market in Ngurosoye village in Bama Local Government Area of Borno State, killing no fewer than 29 persons.

Ngurosoye village is about 56 kilometres from Maiduguri, the Borno state capital, and is also a gateway into the dreaded Sambisa forest. This is the third time the village would be attacked since the Boko Haram insurgency started five years ago.

The insurgents, who came in their usual large numbers, were said to have stormed the village in motorcycles and six Hilux van , shooting sporadically and throwing rocket launchers at the market during which some of the traders met their untimely death.

Local sources in the area told THEWILL that the attack left no fewer than 29 persons dead as 29 lifeless bodies were counted immediately the confusion was over.

'The attacks of the insurgents on the state rather than decreasing is seriously increasing and the killings these days are in greater number. I think it is time government allowed us to cordon off this Sambisa and destroy all these evil people,' a local security operative craving anonymity said.

According to a source in the village, the terrorists had been planning to attack the village for the past two weeks before they finally came on Saturday.

The attack came on a day 10 Chinese construction workers were also abducted by Boko Haram gunmen around Kusuri village in Gwoza Local Government Area of the state . The gunmen were also said to have destroyed a bridge linking the various villages in the area where the Chinese construction workers were working.

A few days ago, about 17 persons were killed while property worth millions of Naira were destroyed by the gunmen who attacked some villages around Gwoza town.

The state Commissioner for Tourism, Dr. Vilita Bashir, who paid a condolence visit to the area, disclosed that Governor Kashim Shettima was very worried by the recent attacks. The commissioner who gave the residents some relief materials however urged them to continue to pray for the return of peace to the troubled region.

The Commissioner, Borno State Police Command, Lawal Tanko, and the spokesman of the 7 Division, Nigerian Army, Col. Muhammad Dole, could however not be reached for official confirmation of the attacks when filing this report.