TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Pandemonium At Delta Revenue Headquarters As Fire Guts Garage House


SAN FRANCISCO, June 29, (THEWILL) – Pandemonium broke out on Monday at the headquarters of Delta state Board of Internal Revenue (DBIR) in Warri, the commercial nerve centre of Delta state as fire engulfed a section of the edifice following a power surge.

THEWILL learnt that the fire which was triggered by an electric surge in the garage section of the building at about 2:pm reportedly sent jittery and panic among staff who were jostled by the development.

Sources said that the fire started at the garage close to the power generator house of the building and was reportedly contained before it could spread to other part of sprawling edifice which houses documents concerning transaction of the board for the past years.

Eyewitness said there was heavy panic within the revenue house as workers were seen scampering out of the building as if there was a dangerous object inside the building only to find out that the garage house was in flames.

The fire was said to have started in the garage where a cable connecting the power generator sparked off following a power surge.

“It was a minor incident, though it sent panic across the building, you know our people, any small thing they start panicking, people were running here and there as if the entire building was on fire. But it was just a spark from some cables that were roughly connected, you know a lot of things were hurriedly done in the building to enable the former governor commission the building before leaving office, so a lot of things were shoddily done even the plumbing works.

“You know there’s a workshop at the back of the main building, it was not the revenue house that was on fire as erroneously aired, it was the workshop where cars are usually serviced and the fire was easily contained even before fire fighters arrived but I think those in the engineering department would explain more about the incident,” a staff of the agency said.

A Senior staff of the establishment who craved anonymity said: “We found out that the garage was on fire so we rushed down to quench the fire. It was not the power generator plant that was on fire but a cable in the garage which sparked off fire during a power surge.”

Comments found to contain email addresses and web links will be rejected