President Goodluck Jonathan's Address At the 2011 President's NYSC Honours Award
His Excellency, President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR
At the 2011 President’s NYSC Honours Award
Abuja, Monday 16th January, 2012
1. This ceremony is dedicated to the recognition and celebration of some of the best of Nigeria’s youth and our nation’s future.
2. The young men and women who are being honoured today have rendered distinguished service to the nation in the course of the one year National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme. Their exhibition of uncommon diligence, dedicated service, and commitment to the common good has earned each of them the 2011 President’s NYSC Award.
3. As an appreciative nation honours these deserving epitomes of the great productive and creative potential of our vibrant youth, it is my hope that their recognition today will inspire them, and all other youths of this great nation, to rededicate themselves to the ideals of selfless service and faith in a strong, united and prosperous Nigeria.
4. On our part, this Administration is resolutely committed to providing the requisite enabling environment to allow our youth blossom and optimize their evident capacity to drive the national transformation agenda. That is why a key element of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE) is the provision of massive employment opportunities across the economy for our teeming youths.
5. It is also noteworthy that the NYSC/MDGs War Against Poverty (WAP) initiative has led to the emergence of budding entrepreneurs in the agro-allied small scale industry as more than 1000 ex-corps members have accessed the investment funds provided under the programme.
6. The Federal Government will continue to keep faith with the ideals of the NYSC scheme by providing the requisite support to enhance its capacity to deliver on its core mandate.
7. Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to seize this opportunity to appeal to all Nigerians, especially our dear youths, to shun any tendencies that only serve to distract us from the onerous task of facing up squarely to the security and development challenges which confront us at this time.
8. From inception, our Administration has demonstrated absolute commitment to the promotion of democratic ideals and unwavering respect for the rule of law. By the same token, we expect that all stakeholder groups would operate within the ambit of the law at all times. Rights and privileges come with concomitant responsibilities.
9. It is in this light, and in relation to recent happenings in parts of the country, that I warn that any and all acts which fan the embers of discord and threaten the corporate existence of our nation will be vigorously checked by all lawful means.
10. Fellow Nigerians, I wish to reiterate my single-minded commitment to working unrelentingly for the enduring welfare and well being of all Nigerians at all times.
11. Nigerians elected me to serve and I remain committed to positively transforming Nigeria in such a way as to engender the greatest good for the greatest number at all times.
12. I salute the Board and Management of the National Youth Service Corps Scheme for keeping faith with the grand vision and lofty objectives of the Founding Fathers of the Scheme.
13. Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to conclude by congratulating today’s patriotic awardees who symbolize the dynamism and exciting possibilities that lie ahead of our dear nation.
14. May Almighty God continue to bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria with enduring peace, security, stability, and prosperity. I thank you all.