'Nigerian Citizens Are My Priority'-Jonathan
In the wake violence that has rocked Libya, President Good luck Jonathan has emphasized that protection of the country's citizens is his major concern.Jonathan said this during the evacuation of 499 of the 2000 Nigerians who had been stranded in Libya due to the uprising in the country.
In his words, "In furtherance to my directive that Nigerians stranded in Libya be immediately evacuated, I want family and friends of the victims to know that 500 of the 2000 stranded victims have landed in Abuja while the rescue operation will go on until everyone willing to return is brought back safely. "Under my watch there will be no Nigerian left behind in troubled zones."
Among those that have arrived are four Nigerians who were on death roll in Libya and 19 others who have been in prison.
They returned at the early hours of Sunday morning aboard Bangladesh airline and landed at the Abuja International Airport before they would be received by family members.
The Director General, National Emergency Management Agency [NEMA], Alhaji Sani Sidi revealed that over one thousand five hundred Nigerians are still stranded in Libya.
He said more flights his agency would arrange more flights for the evacuation of the remaining Nigerians still in Libya.
He said that the federal government has established a special camp to accommodate the returnees who will be discharged after necessary documentation and screening exercise.
Also, NEMA Head of Press and Public Relations, Yashau Shuaib, said, that the rescue team for the operation included officers from NEMA, Foreign Affairs, immigration, medical and security personnel.
Huhuonline.com learnt that the returnees have been moved to a military camp in Abuja to complete documentation and retrieve their luggage before they would be allowed to leave to their various destinations.