ABUJA BOMBING: ADOKE WANTS COURT TO DISMISS SUIT AGAINST SSS
Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) Mohammed Adoke has asked an Abuja Federal High Court to dismiss a suit filed against him and the State Security Service (SSS), by the Director General of the Ibrahim Babangida Presidential Campaign Organization, Chief Raymond Dokpesi who was last month interrogated by the SSS following the October 1 bomb explosions which occurred in Abuja.
Dokpesi is seeking enforcement of his fundamental human rights by stopping the SSS from further harassing or intimidating him.
He wants a declaration that he was not involved or in any way associated with the person or persons, organization or organizations responsible for the bomb blast which occurred on October 1, 2010 at the Eagle Square Abuja.
He is also asking for the sum of N100 million as damages over his interrogations which he said, was aimed at preventing him from carrying out his duties as director general of the Babangida campaign organization.
In a notice of preliminary objection however, Counsel to the AGF Alex Iziyon (SAN) is asking the court to dismiss the application as it discloses no cause of action in law and is an abuse of the judicial process.
He added that since the SSS was statutorily empowered to invite any person for questioning on matters bordering on national security, Dokpesi's action was frivolous and baseless.
He said that the applicant was treated with utmost civility during the short period he spent in the SSS office, while volunteering information in relation to the bomb blasts.
He also argued that the court lacks jurisdiction to venture into the claims of the applicant as it will impede on the efforts of the respondent to promote national security.
Meanwhile, Counsel to Dokpesi, Kanu Agabi (SAN) told the court that he needed time to file a further and better affidavit and also to respond to the preliminary objection brought before the court by Iziyon (SAN).
Justice Adamu Kafarati adjourned till December 8 for adoption of written addresses.