Appreciation Of The Presidency's Intervention In Effium Community Crisis And A Call For A Thorough Investigation Of The Alleged Complicity Of Security Agencies In The Escape/release Of Suspected Armed Warriors Arrested In Effium Community Of Ebonyi State
(Being the text of a press statement made by the National Coordinator of Nigeria Parents Forum, Mr. Monday Eze, in Abakaliki on Sunday, 4th April, 2021)
1. Nigeria Parents Forum, NPF, an association of Nigerian parents concerned about positive parenting with the hope of raising responsible children who will serve as leaders of tommorow has watched with concern the killing of children, women, youths and the aged in the communal war which broke out in Effium Community, Ohaukwu LGA of Ebonyi State since 22nd January, 2021. A modest estimate of the casualty figure in the communal war in which hired war macenaries have allegedly featured has been put at over three hundred which are mainly children, women, the aged and other vulnerable groups like the physically-challenged.
2. That the communal war has lasted for over two months running has led to the suspicion and general bedlam which suffused media platforms that security agencies and authorities in Ebonyi State have either been overwhelmed or have chosen to be complancent, hence the cry for federal government's military intervention.
3. True to the prediction of concerned people, the visit of the General Officer Commanding 82 Division of Nigerian Army, Enugu, Gen. Lagbaja, to the troubled Effium Community on Saturday, 3rd April, 2021; and the arrest of 66 suspected warriors who were armed with lethal weapons by the entourage of the G.O.C. and the subsequent visit of the vice president of the federal republic of Nigeria, Prof. Yemi Osibanjo to Ebonyi State on Sunday, 4th April, 2021 were major milestones in the direction of peace.
4. Nigeria Parents Forum heartily appreciates the presidency for responding promptly to the Effium Community crises; and charges them to follow the peace process in Effium Community through to the logical end to ensure that it is not derailed by fifth columnists.
5. However, Nigeria Parents Forum finds the allegation credited to Ebonyi State Commissioner for Border Peace and Internal Security, Hon. Stanley Okoro Emeagha, that at the exit of Gen. Lagbaja and his entourage from Effium, security operatives to whom the G.O.C. handed over the suspects to convey to Abakaliki compromised and permitted the escape or release of the armed suspects disturbing. The forum hereby calls on the presidency to thoroughly investigate this allegation; order the rearrest of the fleeing suspects and bring the compromising security operatives and their co-conspirators under the full weight of the law.
(National Coordinator, NPF)