Kano Begins Screening Of 1,000 Prospective Mass Wedding Couples
BEVERLY HILLS, September 02, (THEWILL) – The Kano State Hisbah Board said it had commenced medical screening of 1,000 prospective couples for the next Mass Wedding Programme in the state.
The Director General of the board, Dr Abba Sufi, told NAN in Kano on Friday that the screening which started last week was aimed at ensuring the health status of the couples before the marriage.
“The medical screening started about eight days ago and it is intended to ascertain the health status of every one of them,” he said.
“The screening is mandatory as it will enable the board and each partner to know the health status of their partners before the marriage is conducted.
“The state government has planned to conduct the programme after Sallah, hence the decision to start the screening of the couples in time.
“The state government under the leadership of Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje Is committed to the success of the programme as it would check prostitution especially among indigent unmarried young girls and widows.
No fewer than 5,000 indigent unmarried young men and women benefited from the programme during the administration of former Gov. Rabi'u Kwankwaso who introduced it in 2012 while about 4, 395 prospective couples have registered with the state government to participate in the programme.
Story by David Oputah