Government’s Efforts Laudable....Government Committed To Developing NDU
Without the benefits of any rigorous analysis, Bayelsans should commend Governor Seriake for the rare vision to be the first leader to conceive of a laudable idea of establishing a private University. Even the mere conception of the vision is leadership itself. It is a unique initiative from the State Government.
The University will be funded by its partners and the government would only provide the enabling environment for its establishment.
The Bayelsa State Governor posited that there would be need for more private universities to be established and they must be fee paying, pointing out that, it is the only way to make funding of tertiary institutions viable and sustainable.
1. Bayelsa State is now on the map of States with a Private University. This one will have a huge positive rob-on effect on the citizens of the State.
2. The University will generate employment at all categories: low level, intermediate and high caliber manpower. This will reduce the problem of unemployment in the State.
3. The Nigerian educational system is characterized by quota system, catchment area and statism. Access to education (admission) is based on these criteria even though merit is considered first. Thus, the establishment of the “University of Africa” is a fee paying University but it will create access for students of Bayelsa State and the Niger Delta to fill the demand-supply gap.
4. This is not just another Private University, it is a public –private partnership designed to serve community as well as make some profit for expansion, sustainability and corporate Social Responsibility. Bayelsa State will reap the dividends on three fronts.
5. The huge chunk of academic and non-academic staff will come from the State and the Region and this will increase the capacity building index of the State, with huge spill-over benefits on the populace.
6. Its approval followed the formal presentation of the relevant gazette law, academic brief and physical Master Plan as well as the satisfactory report of the advisory resource assessment visit by the commission.
7. The University of Africa is an initiative of the Bayelsa State Government, which will, however, run as a Public Private Partnership (PPP), since the State Government will only provide the enabling environment, while the financing would come from the private sector.
A new baby is born. What we need to do is to breast feed the baby so it will grow to maturity like others. All patriotic Bayelsans should support the initiative and contribute his/her own quota to the development of the African University. This initiative surely deserves commendation.