ASSISTANT INSPECTOR GENERAL OF POLICE, MBU JOSEPH MBU: ALL SIDES OF A COP (Part 2)
In our last edition, we presented an amazing profile of a senior Nigeria Police Officer whose image and exploits in the force was misrepresented to the public. In this era where we are bombarded with pseudo realities manufactured through very sophisticated virtual mechanism, we are often persuaded to take a look at all sides. As the saying goes, Chickens don't praise their own soup, however AIG Mbu has made every day of his service to Nigerians through the Police a page of his history which posterity will justify.
AS A DEPUTY COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, MBU J MBU HEADED THE POLICE DIRECTORATE OF EDUCATION IN ABUJA BETWEEN 2008-2012.
-Immediate relocation of the Force Education Unit from Lagos to Abuja for purposes of centrality.
- Upgraded the Force Education Unit into the Directorate of Police Education
- Regularized over four thousand teachers into the regular Federal Civil Service.
- Supervised the promotion of over 160 teachers from GL 08 - 15 who have stagnated for over eight years.
- Established Departments as follows: Administration, Human Resources, Inspectorate, Research & Planning and the appointment of Deputy Directors to Head the Departments.
- Increased Inspectorate Offices from four to ten and established Research and Planning Offices in Calabar, Minna and Akure.
-Upgraded Police Secondary Schools Commandants from the rank of Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) to Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) with more experience and relevant qualifications.
- Total transformation of Police Secondary and Primary Schools infrastructure by compelling contractors to return to sites and execute over one hundred and fifty abandoned projects.
- Pupils intake increased as follows:
2008 -Police Secondary School Calabar -300
2010- Police Secondary School Calabar - 700
2008 - Police Secondary School Akure -420
2010 - Police Secondary School Akure - 1,400
2008 - Police Secondary School Minna -700
2010 - Police Secondary School Minna - 1,700
2008 - Police Girls Secondary School, Shanono -Kano- 200
2010 - Police Girls Secondary School, Shanono -Kano- 420
The same improvement was recorded with Police Children Schools
- Provided staff cars for all Commandants, Zonal Heads and Directors at the Headquarters.
- Inherited five vehicles but left behind, fifty five vehicles in 2012.
- Sourced for funds from Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and the sum of five hundred million naira was approved for the rehabilitation of twelve Police Primary Schools two from each geopolitical zone
- Provided decent office furniture for all staff rooms, Head Teachers Offices and Commandants Offices
-Acquired over 12,000sqm land at Dei Dei in Abuja and constructed a befitting Headquarters of the Directorate.
- Visited the Headquarters of "Books for Africa" programme, an NGO in Atlanta Georgia, USA in October 2011 and returned with books, laptops and desktops worth over three hundred and fifty million naira.
- Supervised and took over Police Boys Secondary School Mani - Katsina State and Police Secondary School, Ukana- Akwa Ibom
- Constructed: (a) Four rooms ensuite Guest house Uba Ringim Guest House at Police Secondary School Calabar.
(b) O O Onovo magnificent Resource Centre, Police Secondary Minna
(c) Three blocks of 10 Units of self-contained accommodation at Police Secondary School Calabar.
(d) Started a Guest House at Police Girls Secondary School Shanono, Kano State but could not complete
it before I was transfered
- Introduced installmental payments of School fees for the children of Police Rank & File/Inspectorate personnel.
- Brought recognition of the Directorate by the Federal Ministry of Education as well as the Military Directorate of Education Corps
AS A COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, POLICE MOBILE FORCE (MOPOL), FORCE HEADQUARTERS ABUJA
- Compelled forty Nine Squadron Commanders who have not gone for course since 2010 to attend a six weeks conversion course at PMF Training School, Ila Oregun, Osun State.
- Introduced a unit in charge of PMF ethics and doctrine i.e. dress code and general conduct of Mobile Police personnel.
-Introduced Policy and Combat unit in-charge of acquiring new tactics, combat styles and serve as liaison
with the army to get more methods of training and tactical operations and visit countries like Malaysia, Isreal and South Africa.
- Renovated Commassie Hall at PMF training school, Ila Oregun, Osun State.
- Raised a memo to the Inspector General of Police on the purchase of Caravans to be used by PMF personnel on operation outside their bases.
Albert Einstein once stated that " Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction". Assistant Inspector General Of Police, Mbu J Mbu is an officer who prefers to move in the opposite direction in order to have a date with history.