Falomo Shopping Center Contract Saga
Contract awarding is the method used during a procurement in order to evaluate the proposals (tender offers) taking part and award the relevant contract. Usually at this stage the eligibility of the proposals has been concluded.
So it remains to choose the most preferable among the proposed. There are procedures of awarding contracts which including Least price, Most economically advantageous, Mean value and Exclusion of the extremes. To prevent fraud, waste, corruption, or local protectionism, the law of most countries regulates government procurement more or less closely. It usually requires the procuring authority to issue public tenders if the value of the procurement exceeds a certain threshold.
As regard to the cancellation of contract awarded by Fashola to Afriland Properties to redevelop the Falomo Shopping Center by Ambode, one should simply ask some questions ---
1. Did Fashola puts Lagos State first before awarding this contract?
2. In what climate does a person pay 50 million Naira for the expression of interest alone? 3. Did Fashola consider the most economically advantageous before awarding the contract?
4. Did the contract award follow the due process?
5. What is the value of LASG land pledged for the project?
6. What is the name of the SPV that Afriland Properties referred to?
7. Who is in the possession of the C of O of the Falomo Shopping Center?
8. Was there no other bidder?
All these questions must be answered because Gov Ambode cannot just cancel the contract for no just reason.
God bless Lagos State