Oro Curfew In Ile-ife...part 3...safety Tips.
A fellow discussant has just reminded me about the riot in Shagamu town a few years back.
The Shagamu blood-thirsty traditionalists had killed a Hausa man for violating their Oro curfew...and his Sabo compatriots simply....and rightfully rose up to avenge his death!
And the lousy chiefs that supervised the murder were even bold and stupid enough to defend their actions in public! I saw them on TV with my own eyes!
Of course, govt officials and police officers (who revel in being proud members of these cults) would always come out to "plead for calm on both sides" and affirm to be "on top of the situation".
They may even hazard an outright denial of the existence of such atrocities in a manner identical to Shakiru Taiwo!
If a nation is so given to barbarities at the very top, it is high time our citizens took their destinies...and by extension...their safety in their own hands....to adopt proactive and preventive measures:
1. As already said, you must desist from lone walks in deserted places...bush paths snd alleys.
2. You must be extremely circumspect in who and who you bestow your trust... Partying...spiritual escorts and introducers. Times are hard and the fellow promising to take you to a babalawo...or introduce you to a "brotherhood" may in fact, have planned to use you as a sacrificial lamb!
3. So, we must not seek financial reprieve at all cost...or by all means.
4. Ladies already soaked in greed for easy money from "runs" must refrain from prostitution....lest they be soaked in blood! That "unstingy" fellow throwing money around may be aiming for your head!
5. We must take concrete steps to arm ourselves...and have our docile legislators make laws that enable citizens to possess arms. A fellow who is armed and trained in the use of such arms would be more difficult to behead!
6. We must train ourselves in the martial arts and other forms of self-defense.
7. We must watch commercial vehicles carefully before boarding them...so not to fall prey to "one chance"!
8. As we send kids to school and on errands, safety must be paramount at the back of our minds! Kids must be absolutely forbidden from speaking to strangers!
9. We must conduct background checks on prospective domestic servants and mind the way we use the internet.
10. As the nation slides into anarchy under the watch of our "cultsy" rulers, a little bit of paranoia on the part of citizen would go a long way in retaining our heads on our shoulders!
Dr Tosin Akindele is a medical practitioner and public affairs analyst.