Boko Haram Loses 20 Gunmen As Military Repels Siege On Ex-STF Commander's Residence In Borno
BEVERLY HILLS, September 08, (THEWILL) – No fewer than 20 Boko Haram gunmen were killed Sunday morning as the military repelled a siege by the insurgents on the residence of the former Commander, Niger-Delta Special Task Force, Major General Tukur Buratai, in Buratai town .
Local sources told THEWILL that the insurgents had earlier attacked the Buratai Central Primary School, the only primary school in the hometown of the former STF Commander .
The gunmen were said to have stormed the town through Buni-Yadi, a town in Yobe State currently under their control, also razed all mobile network masts in the town.
A resident of the town, Mallam Idi Buratai, said on Monday that over 50 Boko Haram gunmen had stormed the town on motorcycles and Hilux vehicles and attacked the residence of General Buratai and Buratai Primary school which they succeeded in burning.
But they were subdued by the superior gunfire of the military at the residence of General Buratai as over 20 of them were killed while the others fled in different directions.
'The soldiers guarding the residence of the former Task Force Commander in collaboration with their colleagues from Biu Military Barrack and some members of vigilante group repelled the attackers killing over 20 members of the sect,' Idi told THEWILL.
Unconfirmed sources however said that a military truck was destroyed while three soldiers who were said to have sustained injuries in the attack later died.
The District Head of Buratai, Alhaji Maina Garga, however confirmed the incident, saying the insurgents lost many of their foot soldiers as the gallant soldiers repelled the attack on the Commander's residence. He also confirmed that three soldiers were injured in the exchange of gunfire.
Buratai, a Southern Borno town in Biu Local Government Area of the state, is situated at some 200 kilometres from Maiduguri, the Borno state capital,.