Fresh Military Onslaught Claims Four Soldiers, 40 Boko Haram Gunmen in Borno
BEVERLY HILLS, CA, April 25, (THEWILL) â€' A fresh shoot-out between the Nigerian military and the Boko Haram gunmen in Borno State on Friday claimed the lives of four soldiers while the terrorists lost 40 of their fighters to the encounter.
The incident happened around Bulanbuli, which is located between Alagarmo and the notorious Sambisa Forest, believed to be the stronghold of the Boko Haram gunmen in Borno State.
Confirming the incident in a statement issued Friday night,the Director of Defence Information, Major General Chris Olukolade, said nine soldiers were also injured in the encounter.
'The capture of a number of terrorists believed to be the ring leaders of those operating around Alagarmo, has sparked off a major fighting at the outskirts of Bulanbuli, Borno State, last night.
'Over 40 terrorists died in the encounter while four soldiers lost their lives and nine were wounded.
'More than 16 rifles and a substantial number of assorted calibres of ammunitions, Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) materials, SIM Cards and electronic items have so far been recovered.
'Two of the terrorists were earlier arrested at a local market two days ago while trying to procure foodstuff while others were spying on the military base in the area. Others still being trailed include a terrorist medic who was on a mission to procure drugs for use by his colleagues,' Olukolade said in the statement.