Terror: Jonathan, Atiku Express Outrage Over Killing Of Students In Yobe College
President Says Government Will Continue to Vigorously Prosecute War Against Boko Haram BEVERLY HILLS, February 25, (THEWILL) - President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and former Vice President Atiku Abubakar have joined voices to condemn Tuesday's senseless killing of students of the federal government college in Yobe by terrorists suspected to be members of the Boko Haram.
In separate statements issued after the killings which occurred early Tuesday morning, President Jonathan said he received the news with 'Immense sadness and anguish', while extending his heartfelt condolences to the parents of the slain students.
'On behalf of himself and the Federal Government, President Jonathan extends heartfelt condolences to the parents and relatives of the murdered students.
'The President wholly condemns the heinous, brutal and mindless killing of the guiltless students by deranged terrorists and fanatics who have clearly lost all human morality and descended to bestiality.
'He assures the nation that his administration will not relent in its ongoing efforts to end the scourge of terrorism in parts of the country which has sadly claimed more innocent lives today.
'The Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies will continue to prosecute the war against terror with full vigour, diligence and determination until the dark cloud of mass murder and destruction of lives and property is permanently removed from our horizon,' the President said in a statement by Reuben Abati, his spokesman.
Atiku weeps over massacre of school pupils in Yobe Former Vice President Abubakar broke down in tears when informed of the killings of dozens of pupils of Federal Government College, Buni Yadi, Gujiba Local Government Area of Yobe State, a statement from his media office Tuesday said.
The former Vice President who is also Grand Patron of Federal Government College Okigwe Old Students Association said in a strongly-worded statement that all the Federal Government had been doing about addressing the security situation in the North-east region of the country amounts to mere chasing of shadows if school walls cannot be protected from armed attacks.
The former Vice President particularly frowned at the impression given by President Goodluck Jonathan at his Presidential Media Chat on Monday that the government has been successful at pushing armed attacks to the fringes of the country.
"My heartfelt condolences go to families of the slain school pupils.
It is unfortunate that innocent school children, will become victims of armed attacks.
"This will not be the first time in recent times that school children are being attacked, and it is particularly disheartening that the Federal Government is yet to devise a strategy of keeping our schools safe from terror attacks.
If our counter-insurgency strategies are not strong enough to keep our children safe inside their schools, then one must wonder if such a strategy isn't mere chasing shadows," Atiku said.
According to him "it is important that the Federal Government ups its counter-insurgency strategy and desist from taking credits in pushing armed attacks to the fringes, as the president would like to put it.
No Nigerian's life is less in value to another.
" He said it is imperative for government to ensure security in schools, in particular the Federal Government Colleges because of their unique role in forging national unity among pupils from diverse backgrounds in the country.