Lawmaker Raises The Alarm Over Alleged Plan To Wipe Out Christians From Borno
Says Over 200 Churches Already Destroyed By Boko Haram BEVERLY HILLS, CA, January 12, (THEWILL) - House of Representatives member, Hon.
Peter Biye, whose country home and a Church were destroyed in Gwoza, Borno State, last week by suspected Boko Haram insurgents, has raised the alarm over what he described as the alleged plan and conceited effort to wipe out Christians from the State.
Biye, who is the only Christian House of Representatives member from Borno state, said the endless destruction of Churches in the state is a pointer to the plan as he put the number of churches destroyed so far at not less than 200, saying only about eight Churches are left in the whole of Gwoza Council which, according to him, is Christian dominated.
On Sunday, the insurgents struck in Sabon Gari Village in Hambagda Jaji ward of Gwoza Local Government Area of the state, killing eight persons and inflicting severe injuries on others.
The gunmen were said to have stormed the village in the night and opened fire on the residents before they fled without being arrested.
Last week, eight gunmen stormed the Biye's village, a Christian-dominated community at about 8pm, carting away over 70 domestic animals before setting buildings in the village ablaze.
The gunmen set on fire at Biye's house a consignment of sorghum was meant for distribution to the people to cushion their hardships.
They also burnt 30,000 pieces of exercise books, 30,000 packets of pen, sewing machines, generating pump machines, 30,000 packets of chalk among others which the lawmaker bought at the cost of over N38 million for distribution to schools and people in his constituency.
He lamented that since he was elected, there has been daily attacks targeted at Christian communities in Gwoza, Chibok and Damboa council areas, a situation that forced him to have no option than to stop visiting his people, including his family members for the past two years.
Biye who said no live was lost in the house, however expressed disappointment over what he described as " non- challant attitude" of security operatives to secure his constituency which is one of the worst hit by Boko Haram crisis.
He said he had earlier alerted the security authorities of a purported plan by the terrorists to attack his village, but all plea to the security authorities to deploy its men to the area felt on deaf ears.
" What is happening in my constituency is very unfortunate, people are being killed by terrorists on a daily basis, churches are being burnt, and if people like my Honourable self, who is also a member House Committee on Army will alert military authorities that based on intelligent report my village will be under attack by terrorists, and nothing was done to secure the area, then it is unfortunate, because an ordinary citizen of this country, especially those from volatile areas are no longer safe or protected by our security outfit.
"As I am talking to you now, I have spent over two years without going to see my people because I am no longer safe, all my projects which was aimed at alleviating the economic hardship of my people have been destroyed.
There was a time I sent my contractors to construct a health centre in Gwoza town, when they dug the foundation, a day after, some Boko Haram elements went and buried everything,".