TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

'AMNESTY OFFICE HAS NO AUTHORITY TO ENLIST'

By NBF News
Listen to article

By Kenneth Ehigiator
The Amnesty Office of the Federal Government said, weekend, it was not disturbed by the 14 days ultimatum issued by some aggrieved former militants in the Niger Delta, seeking enlistment in the amnesty programme.

This came as another set of 247 ex-militants left the country for vocational training in South Africa and Malaysia.

The aggrieved ex-militants had, last week, issued the Amnesty Office the ultimatum, warning that they would ask all expatriates in the region to leave should government fail to yield to their request.

However, speaking at the pre-departure briefing for the 247 ex-militants who left the country, weekend, Special Adviser to the President on Niger Delta Matters, Mr. Kingsley Kuku, said: 'We are not disturbed over the threat by some youths to be enlisted in the third phase of the amnesty programme.

'The fact of the matter is that the amnesty programme came from a proclamation which was a window. It had closed since October 4, 2009.

'Except President Jonathan opens another window by forgiving another set of people, only then can the amnesty office enlist them.'

'Apart from the 26,358 people the presidential proclamation covered, the amnesty office does not have the authority to include any additional person.'

We had said this time and time again. These agitators appear genuine, very old, and are people who wish to be included in the third phase of amnesty programme.