Striking Ondo workers return to work
The 13 days strike called by Ondo State workers was, on Monday, suspended and workers directed to resume at their duty posts.
The chairman of the state chapter of the Joint Negotiation Committee (JNC), Solomon Adelegan, who addressed journalists after the meeting of the workers, said the strike had been suspended and work resumed immediately.
The development was said to have followed the intervention of traditional rulers, clerics and other prominent people in the state.
The NJC chairman explained that the intervention of the stakeholders, made the state government to withdraw the circular that led to the strike.
He said, “the intervention of major stakeholders made the state governor to approve the withdrawal of the controversial circular. The circular, issued by the state government, had nullified the agreement it reached with the workers on the payment of N14,000 salary relativity structure across board for all civil servants.
“Now that the governor, who we all hold in high esteem, has agreed to withdraw the circular, I hereby urge all civil servants to go back to their duty posts with immediate effect”.
Adelegan, however, said that the July salary would be based on the N14,000 salary relativity structure for all workers in the state.
The Ondo State government said the decision of the labour unions to call off their strike action is welcome and in line with government's expectations.
The government, in a statement yesterday, said the decision showed that labour in Ondo State while pursuing the interest of its members is conscious of the determination of the Labour Party to run a government that places premium on the interests of the teeming populace without sacrificing the interest of the workers.