An Open Letter Bothering On The State Of Affairs Of Our Dear Student Government And Her Executive
His Excellency, Comrade Aliyu Zakari (SAS) President SUG UMYUK
I am amoung the many who believe that "the worthiness of life is deep rooted in the service of mankind". The above mention qoute therefore should be the practice of every Leader and aspiring leader for excellence in leadership.
Mr President this letter is out of my ardent concern for our union, its leaders and our numerouse students, some of these students i have had the opportunity to speak with and have also listend to and I must confess 90% of our beloved students have Lost faith in UMYUK student Unionism.
I am not intrested however in finding out during which administration the lost of intrest began buth rather i am
intrested in knowing the effort your administration is putting in that regards.
For the purpose of clarity. I would like to give few reasons why the trust in our union is down.
1. Promise on reduction of cost of transportation and banning of commercial Motor cycles from entering the school gate.
2. Inability of the Union Executives to organise a general congress. It was of great concern that your administration
was unable to organise a general congress.
3. Rumour Bothering on the scraping of the SUG and introduction of the SRC by
the New VC.
4. Introduction of CBT for GSP Exams. 5. Security officers in the school harassing students. A saying goes thus " Every onlooker is either a traitor or a coward". I am very sure my fellow Umyukites and myself are not onlookers nor cowards buth great people who want the best for our beloved institution.
Future leaders who look up to you and your Excutives for leadership skills the will apply in the future to better
My president, earlier i stated that quite a number of students have discussed with me on the way forward for our union, one of the reasons some of the students who elected you came to me instead is because it is percieved that you have built a wall arround yourself hence no one can climb it talk more of reaching you personally.the discussion was held base on capcity as a known critics of yours, a student activist, public analyst and a student counselor not to mention my years of experience as a youth and student advocate of good leadership. It is believe i should be able to reach you
where others cannot.
Therefore i request that you please create avenues within this period of your students and ensure you pass their reasonable advice recommendation to the incomming executive because time is inevitably on our side anymore.
The choice of making this letter an open note is not to have a war of words neither is the open letter
begging for a reply. It is so that history will have it that we are not onlookers because the human life ends when we
began to keep quite,therfore be mindful Mr President that the entire UMYUK community is waiting for your
stewardship as time is inevitably on our side no more.
About 13months ago during the 2014 manifesto your excellency made promises to innocent listeners. Innocent they are because everyone came their to listen to voice that will bring change and so far i think it is high time you make it
visible to the blind and audible to the deaf which amoung your promise you made during the manifesto you kept.
Outlined them and be restassured thay faith will gradually return to our dear union. Futhermore as an educationist with great ideas and one who is a solution provider and not just a complainer. I wish to profer the understated solutions to our possible union problems for effective leadership and regain of trust in UMYUK student unionism.
1. The concept of godfatherism must be killed and buried in our union.
2. Student must be given cogent reason (s) for certain actions of the union e.g
increase in transport fare, banning of commercial motorcycle.
This however should be done before it takes effect as it is possible aloung the line a student might find the solution. 3. Union leaders must have good thinkers not just friends as advisers.
4. The Executives must ensure that "a leadership congress or meeting" is organized immedietly upon assumption of office amoung them and leaders at the grass root level e.g Depertmental leaders.
This however was never the case in this outgoing administration.
5. A general congress should be held at least once every month.
6. It is inevitable that politically you have made a few enemies during this period. I would love to recomend that you have an open mind towards everyone either
friend or foe. Like madiba, let forgiveness be your watchword. Redeem your good name.
However, i understand that this letters
will give room for open discussions and
criticism buth am sure it is for the good
our goverment moreover if leaders do not speak out with courage, who
will? On this
note however i believe i have made my
points clear enough. My support remain
with the union whether about to fall or
already fallen and be rest assured that if
the need arises i will forward more letters to your office.
Comrade Bello shehu Tijjani
STUDENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
KATSINA STATE AMBASSEDOR NATIONAL YOUTH ASSEMBLY OF NIGERIA
NATIONAL GENERAL SECRETARY
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA
http://[email protected] 07030562736;08038884648