TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

I'm committed to Abuja peace accord, says Buhari

By The Citizen
Listen to article

The Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari on Friday reiterated his commitment to the Abuja peace Accord.

He said himself and President Goodluck Jonathan signed a new accord reinforcing their commitment to violent-free elections.

This, he said, was a follow- up to the Abuja Accord which they both signed, along with nine other party leaders, on January 14, 2015, to show 'our commitment to free, fair and credible elections in our dear country.'

In a statement he signed in Abuja barely 24 hours to the presidential elections, Buhari said, 'I take these accords very seriously, and this has reflected in the issues-based campaign which I ran all through the period of electioneering campaign, despite the provocative and sleazy campaign directed at my person and my party.'

He, however, expressed disappointment that certain happenings within the polity across the country, ahead of Saturday's elections, run against the contents and spirit of the peace accords.

He said, for example, the ink with which the new peace accord was signed had barely dried when he started hearing reports of violence directed against members of the All Progressives Congress, as well as glaring acts of harassment and intimidation being carried out against the opposition by security agents across the country.

He said, 'Shots were fired at the convoy of the Director General of my Campaign Organisation, His Excellency Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State, in Rumuolumeni, Obio Akpor area of Port Harcourt, a few hours after the second peace accord was signed, leaving two persons injured.

'I do hope this is not a confirmation of the information reaching my party that some notorious security agents have been deployed to Port Harcourt to restrict the movement of Gov. Amaechi.'

Buhari also observed that in Ondo State, a serving APC member of the House of Representatives, Eniolorunda Omosule, was arrested and detained by the police for no reason other than to keep him away until after elections.

He also said there were reports of an alleged meeting in Ibadan between the Commissioners of Police in the South-west and PDP officials.