Reprisal Killings Continue In Jos, Lar Condemns Bombings
JOS, Dec 26, (THEWILL) - Reprisal attacks continued unabated early Sunday across Jos City lasting to evening with reports of deaths around Angwan Rukuba, Tina junction and Dutse Uku area of Jos, Plateau State.
The security situation got so worse that the Vice President, Arch. Namadi Sambo had to cancel his proposed visit to Plateau State due to frightening security reports, a security source told THEWILL in Jos.
The police have confirmed that over 32 persons were killed in the multiple bomb blasts while 74 others were wounded and are receiving treatment at the various hospitals in the state capital.
But the DIG Zone 4, Audu Abubakar, could not confirm to THEWILL if any had been killed in the mob protest as he said he is yet to receive reports from his operatives on the field. Unconfirmed reports however say about 10 people have been killed in today's mob action.
Christian Youths in several parts of Jos including Angwna Rukuba, Rikkos, Tina Junction, Gada Biu came out early in the morning in protest of the Christmas eve’s bombings and barricaded major roads assaulting motorists. Many buildings in some of the areas affected were also touched while major streets remained deserted for most part of Sunday.
Plateau State Governor, Jonah Jang reiterated his earlier calls on the federal government to do all within its powers to ensure those who do not want peace in the state are arrested and prosecuted.
However, Plateau State Police Commissioner, Abdulrahman Akanno has observed that the Jos crises is fueled by political disagreements, advising the political class to sort their differences in the interest of peace. He advised Christians to go about their Sunday activities without fear of molestation as security arrangements have been put in place to ensure their safety in churches.
According to him, bomb experts would be drafted to churches to scrutinized worshipers and STF members will assist the police by providing security around the churches, while investigations are continuing to fish out the perpetrators of the bomb blasts.
THEWILL gathered that four units of mobile policemen have been drafted to the state to help improve security.
Meanwhile, a former governor of the state and pioneer National Chairman of the PDP, Chief Solomon Lar has condemned the blasts.
Lar described said it is unfortunate that the most important Christian festival, which proclaims peace on earth, was disrupted by retrogressive elements who do not cherish peace, or value human lives.
“I sympathize with relations of those that lost their lives, that God will comfort them and grant them the grace to bear the irreparable loss. For those that sustained injuries, I pray earnestly that they will recover fully to normal life in due course.
“I call on the people to be calm, and vigilant, this condemnable act will not continue. I urge the government to investigate the incidents and bring to book those found to be behind the murderous acts.
Chief Lar called on the government to be on its toes to restore security and confidence in the people saying Jos is known as home of peace and tourism so all should all work together to make it regain its status of peace.
“Let us be law abiding and report any suspicious movement or activity without delay,” Lar added.