TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Nigerian Jailed 3yr For Role In Computer Hacking Scheme That Targeted Government Employees 

Listen to article

A Nigerian man was sentenced Wednesday to 36 months in prison for his role in a computer hacking and identity theft scheme that defrauded vendors of nearly $1 million of office products after “phishing” e-mail login information from government employees, New Jersey U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman announced.

Abiodun Adejohn, a/k/a “James Williams,” a/k/a “Olawale Adeyemi,” a/k/a “Abiodun Ade John,” a/k/a “Abiodun Ade-John,” 31, of Nigeria, previously pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge William H. Walls to information charging him with one count of wire fraud conspiracy. Judge Walls imposed the sentence Wednesday in a Newark federal court.

According to documents filed in this case and statements made in court: The scheme employed “phishing” attacks, which used fraudulent e-mails and websites that mimicked the legitimate e-mails and web pages of U.S. government agencies, such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Employees of those agencies visited the fake web pages and provided their e-mail account usernames and passwords.

Adejohn and his conspirators used these stolen credentials to access the employees' e-mail accounts in order to place fraudulent orders for office products, typically printer toner cartridges, in the employees' names from vendors who were authorized to do business with U.S. government agencies.

Adejohn and his conspirators directed the vendors to ship the fraudulent orders to individuals in New Jersey and elsewhere to be repackaged and ultimately shipped to overseas locations controlled by Adejohn and his conspirators. Once the orders were received in Nigeria, Adejohn and his conspirators sold the toner cartridges to another individual on the black market for profit.

Adejohn was arrested in Arizona on Sept. 24, 2013, and has been detained since his arrest. In addition to the prison term, Judge Walls sentenced Adejohn to three years of supervised release and ordered him to pay $630,806.48 in restitution.