BREAKING: Nigeria Says Ebola Disease Now Contained, 2 More Patients Discharged
… Says Last Patient Stable
BEVERLY HILLS, August 26, (THEWILL) - Nigeria Tuesday formally announced the containment of the deadly Ebola virus in the oil rich West African State.
The Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu, made the announcement in a statement signed by Dan Nwomeh, his Special Assistant on Media and Communication, following a press briefing.
'As I speak to you, Nigeria has only one confirmed case of EVD, a secondary contact of Mr. Patrick Sawyer's and spouse of one of the physicians who participated in the management of the index case. She is stable but still on treatment at the Isolation ward in Lagos.
'So far, all the reported cases of the EVD in Nigeria have their root in the index case, the late Mr. Patrick Sawyer. This is an indication that, thus far, Nigeria has contained the disease outbreak,' Chukwu said.
The Minister disclosed that since the disease was 'imported' to Nigeria by Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian/American man, over over a month ago, Nigeria has had thirteen (13) cases of EVD including the index case.
He said: 'Of these thirteen (13), five (5), including the index case unfortunately did not survive the disease and are now late.
'However, seven (7) of the infected persons were successfully managed at the Isolation ward in Lagos and have been discharged home.
'Two (2) of treated patients, a male doctor and a female nurse were discharged yesterday evening, 25th August, 2014 having satisfied the criteria for discharge.
'I wish to reassure Nigerians and indeed the global community that the Government shall remain vigilant and will not relent as Government continues to work with her partners to ensure that the disease is kept out of the country.
More than 1200 persons have died from Ebola since the current outbreak in West Africa with Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone accounting for over 90 percent of the victims.