Conference of African Parliamentarians on deepening legislative engagement with the Millennium Development Goals and the Post-2015 Development Agenda
JOHANNESBURG, South-Africa, November 21, 2013/African Press Organization (APO)/ -- Most African Parliaments have embraced the MDGs as a means to achieve human development for their constituencies. Standing Committees and caucuses have been set up specifically to ensure the effective implementation of MDGs in some national parliaments while similar structures have been instituted in Regional Parliaments to track commitments and progress towards the MDGs.
Focused on the role of legislatures, a dialogue of African Parliamentarians is being convened from the 20th to 22nd November 2013 to discuss progress with the Millennium Development Goals and the emerging post -2015 development agenda.
Key objectives of the dialogue
• To promote parliamentary ownership, leadership and co-operation on, and advocacy for MDG-focused policies including financing in the lead up to the 2015 target date;
• To enhance parliamentary knowledge on MDG Acceleration efforts, including the sharing of best practices of Parliamentary engagement with MDGs across Africa;
• To develop a common understanding of the Post-2015 Development process among parliamentarians;
• To advocate strategies to enhance parliamentary engagement on the post-2015 development agenda ; and,
• To contribute to the African Common Position on the Post -2015 development agenda.
Who will be there
• National and Sub-regional Parliamentarians (from the East African Legislative Assembly, SADC Parliament, ECCAS Parliament and ECOWAS Parliament) and the Pan-African Parliament, and
• Staff members from the various Parliaments across the continent
Discussions will combine expert presentations, panel interventions, break-out group and plenary sessions.
What: Dialogue of African Parliamentarians to discuss progress with the Millennium Development Goals and the emerging post -2015 development agenda (all meetings are open to the media)
When: 20-22 November 2013
Where: Pan-African Parliament, Gallagher Estate, Midrand (Johannesburg)