TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

BETWEEN HND AND BSC

By NATHANIEL A. ABDULLAHI

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

Ordinarily, by virtue of the number of years required to obtain the Higher National Diploma (HND) and Bachelor Science (BSC) one would think that the HND and BSC are the same but in Nigeria the reverse is the case.

The discrepancy between these two has lingered and will continue until something drastic is done to it. The Head of the Civil Service, Mr. Steven Orasanya even affirmed it from his school of thought that there is no way that the HND can be compared to the BSC irrespective of the fact that it will take the same number of years to acquire the result. And this is why holders of HND in the civil service are left without promotion after a certain period. Recently, The Federal Road Service Corps released guidelines for recruitment and again the HND was placed below the BSC.

The issue is not whether the HND and BSC are of the same grade, but it is whether result obtained makes a better student. I don't think that holders of BSC are in anyway better than HND holders just because of where they obtained the knowledge. I am speaking for myself and other millions of polytechnic students who know their onion. If I must ask, what proof does anybody have that university students can perform well than polytechnic students? I see that we have down graded academic pursuit in this part of the world. The government has created a platform to make people feel that the HND is second class to the BSC. What is the difference between an individual who studies Accounting in the polytechnic and a university graduate that studies the same Accounting? The only difference is the name of the institution. See, whether you study at the best university in the world and I attended a polytechnic, provided we studied the same course

there is no parameter you can use to prove that you are better than I am. It all boils down to mindset. If you believe that a university graduate is better than you a polytechnic graduate so be it. “Going to school should not be an end but rather a platform for improving an individual's knowledge”. Today many see gaining admission into higher institution as the ultimate. I am of the view that where you study does not matter but it is your ability to use the knowledge acquired into action. Any good student that knows what he or she went to do at school should be able to deliver no matter the kind of institution. Many are in the university today not because they want to acquire academic knowledge but because they want to be identified as part of those who went to the university. Carry out your own research and tell me if the students in the university have been adjudged to be the best among those in tertiary institutions in the country or anywhere

else in the world. The Nigeria government on its part has failed by placing university graduates above those in the polytechnics, and this is killing the academic ambition of many. You find individuals who finished their secondary school for more than 7years at home all in the name of wanting to go to the university.

Until we change our orientation that education is not just about knowledge (what you have learnt) but what you can deliver, then we would only end up producing thousands of graduates yearly who have the knowledge but can not deliver people.

By NATHANIEL A. ABDULLAHI

Email: [email protected]

Your Comment

MAGBAGBEOLA BOLA | 8/1/2013 4:52:00 PM
Well written. A good administrator would not place paper qualification above a goal getter. HND holders should go all out and fight for this course in all spheres just like Nigerians went all out on june 12 1992 for the democracy we now enjoy. Hnd holders in the public service should request for a parallel line of promotion i.e elongation of their cadre in the civil service and not conversion. Both BSc and HND holders should be allowed to sit for same promotion exam moving from grade level 14 to grade level 15 unto 17, whoever passes the Promotion exams should proceed to the next level as being done from grade level 8-14(terminal grade for HND holders in the service).
Opara goodluck | 10/2/2013 8:57:00 PM
It is not BSc and HND that matters. What matters is what is up stairs. There is no difference between a polytechnic student and university student. Left for me, i will say that polytechnic is a high institution of it's own. While University is another high institution of it's own. So there should be no discrimination.
jude eze | 12/21/2013 8:55:00 PM
I am impressed, highly impressed,by this words which have been posted on net...every word you have spoken is true,very true...God bless the writer n prolong his life.
Ibrahim m.sani | 7/3/2014 7:26:00 AM
Thanks 4 dis precise statement
David faith | 2/7/2015 3:04:00 PM
I think you all are right,Hnd and Bsc are thesame is just the change of letters,what we really need in Nigeria is people that are good practically and not those that carry certificate.
Idis ojo | 4/15/2015 7:29:00 PM
Ples let G.M.B, CONsider awa hND HOLDERs
haruna idris | 7/10/2015 8:16:00 AM
What I believe it this case of discrimination is our leaders that are corrupt who spoiled the educational curriculum to politics; all these two certificate are awarded by nigerian institutions.
alexandra markueen | 11/9/2015 9:36:00 AM
hmm.. everything u people have said is is true... what makes it look like the graduates from university is better from DAT of a polytechnic is the wicked leaders we have in this wicked country.. if u ask them y its like that they have nothing to say... its just like that my fellow student. its a tradition.. may god punish them say amen.. if u feel me
oluwatobiloba | 12/13/2015 5:27:00 PM
HND and bsc are dsame only there name different, government do something to this ooo!!!.
China Simon | 3/2/2016 7:19:00 AM
I put a great support in this issue that hnd and bsc is of the same grade no different them.
China Simon | 3/2/2016 7:23:00 AM
I put a great support in this issue that hnd and bsc is of the same grade no different them.
GODFREY CLINIC | 3/29/2016 6:23:00 PM
ALL D SAME LET DEM CREAT JOBS 4 OUR GRANDUATED PEOPLE.IT'S PAINFUL NT HAV A JOB AFTER GRADUATED.
Humble | 4/3/2016 3:44:00 PM
BSC and HND are not the same. everywhere in the world view HND as second year of a degree programs therefore;you should not blame your leaders.
Sima | 4/22/2016 11:41:00 PM
HND nd bsc re de same,is because Nigerians don't love they each other,
Abba Abdullahi | 5/22/2016 4:33:00 PM
All is the same HND or Bsc are certificate from various school in Nigeria there is no discrimination
gbenga | 8/2/2016 10:25:00 PM
It is in this kind of situation we should act like learned people. Let's get our facts right before we start blaming somebody. In the western education that we are copying, HND is equivalent to the second year of bachelor degree and here in nigeria,OND can cross to university, maintaining the same second year, ain't we going against the whole education system already. If most of us knows what we are getting into maybe we will argue less. We all know certificate does not guarantee success in life, however,there is need for us to know the difference n, there is no where in the world that HND as been equivalent to bachelor degree.
Ukeme Sunday | 8/28/2016 1:31:00 PM
People should stop saying that bsc is better than hnd. Both certificate are the same. what you have up stairs determine whether you are better.
Abah Sunday | 11/15/2016 7:10:00 PM
The dichotomy between hnd and degree is aimless but detrimental to technological innovation. No wonder Nigeria can not grow technologically. Iam proud to be an HND holder and ever ready to top any degree holder in my field. Our leaders are still naive and ignorant of the term Diploma. Thats why they prefer Bsc 2 Hnd. Diploma is a generic word 4 the term document and Nigerians should take note of that. In European and Asian countries, you can have msc and phd and still be issued Diploma. That does not mean its below degree. For instance, there are many polytechnics in USA that offers Degree, they believe any higher institution that u spend not less than 4yrs after secondary school is considered degree. Lyk in India where degree is runs within 3yrs their master is considered equivalent 2 degree in other countries. Nigeria needs deliverance bcoz our leaders are callous. Degree can not define my destiny. Every body should be encouraged. Stop ur children from polytechnic in Nigeria. Stop ur friends. U can run ur degree any time if u must be employed in Nigeria. Forget it if u must create job for urself.
tony | 1/5/2017 2:03:00 PM
Don't compare Bsc with Hnd.....
ayodeji ogunrinde | 5/23/2017 3:39:00 PM
you are right hnd and bsc are the same
Benbliss | 7/5/2017 12:52:00 PM
Thank Abdul for courageous words, i vividly believe it is going to lift someone's spirit who has gone astray due to this discrimination. It is our potential that matters.
Anosike precious | 7/17/2017 6:51:00 AM
I like a very wonderful comment "
GODSPOWER | 7/20/2017 11:42:00 AM
In developed country, what they refer as degree is the total credit unit you have under go, if you have under go 120 credit unit them what you have is call degree. HND in Nigeria in some cases should even be rate higher than BSC especially in Accounting or Accountancy, because those with HND under go more credit unite than that of BSC. If you hard up the credit unit from ND to HND is more than 150 credit unit, so looking at it BSC is not bigger than HND in any way. But should be rate Equally, it to get HND in Accounting or Accountancy and in others management course is 5yrs while that of BSC is 4yrs. I think the reason for the discrimination is bias and wickedness and even ignorance. But are equal there should be no discrimination.
Usman ado mlf/kt | 7/27/2017 6:50:00 PM
U're absolutely buddies,by the way hw much is kadpoly sells hnd form nwadays
Usman ado mlf/kt | 7/27/2017 6:52:00 PM
U're absolutely right buddies,by the way hw much is kadpoly sells hnd form nwadays coz i'm going to join.
Usman ado | 7/27/2017 7:06:00 PM
Ur School doesnt dtmine who u are but,ur self dtmination,intlctual skills,communication skills,like evrybody icn say hnd holders are even more prctcal oriented dn dt of bsc holders.
SHY YANGAYAMI | 7/29/2017 9:43:00 PM
y are u trying 2 blow an air in2 HND holder's eyes ? why are allow them to joint in2 HND and apply a descrimination wix d bsc bcos u are pourly corrupt leaderr and unfair people
Okopi Ama | 8/19/2017 3:34:00 PM
Degree is also a diploma just that Nigerians have low concept of the term diploma. Thats why they are crazy for degree certificate. Is it because degree is not directly written on HND certificate?
Okopi Samuel | 8/19/2017 3:41:00 PM
I am a bsc holder and i thank God for not been to polytechnic. I have Brothers who went through polytechnic and i can tell u the dichotomy is unfair. Nigeria government is wicked. The criteria used for this dichotomy is useless.
samson aboh | 8/29/2017 5:24:00 PM
school is school,bsc is the same as hnd
Muhammad idi | 11/6/2017 11:01:00 AM
Does are so boder they self about the discrimination for HND an BSC holders, our respective leader ther all kwen the settlemen too, in order to avoid but their refuse the dychotomy,,,,,,,,,but d level true is the same.
Abdullahi Mustapha | 11/10/2017 9:48:00 AM
I proud of this impormation HND and Bcs are thesame becs all is institution.If u obtain HND or BSC u can get work in companies,industr etc
Momoh Abdulateef Ochejidi | 11/28/2017 7:41:00 PM
4 d fact university people's ar nt batta dan polytechnic student bcus in term practical aspet polytechnic is 85% dan university.
Okoh Martin | 8/11/2018 9:34:00 PM
I pity university students who study Elect elect with out practical. Big title Engr. Hmmm. HND is equal to degree. Let Nigeria take smart decision pls. Individual difference matters!