TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

Dabiri-Erewa condemns destruction of Vehicles at the Nigerian embassy in London

By The Nigerian Voice

Abuja, June 17, 2019: Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO, Nigerians In Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) has described the attitude of a 32-year old Nigerian, Jeffrey Apkovweta Ewohime who destroyed several properties of the Nigerian embassy in London as despicable and condemnable.

In a statement by her media aide, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, said that such an attitude was unpatriotic, and an unconscionable act of indiscipline.

Dabiri-Erewa said she received a report that Emohime went to the Nigeria Embasy in London on Monday,

He had approached the Embassy to collect his passport which expired since Nov 2017 at about 2 p.m and was told collection of passports closes at 1pm.

He then insisted on collecting his passport , and was told to bring his collection slip which he could not produce.

According to reports from the Embassy, it would of course be wrong to hand over his passport to him , without his collection slip,

He thereafter left agitated and returned from a nearby hotel to destroy about seven cars,5 belonging to the mission, and 2 to visitors who parked near by.

His attempt to destroy the High Commissioner's car failed as it is a bullet proof

"I am told that he has been arrested by the police. "

He destroyed seven brand new cars , except the Ambassador's car which is bullet proof.

“ This is a despicable act, which must be condemned by all. Of course, the law must take its course", .

Dabiri-Erewa implored Nigerians abroad to exercise restraint and be good ambassadors of Nigeria at all times in all circumstances.

Signed.

Abdur-Rahman Balogun

S.A. Media to Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa

Your Comment

Victoria Sodeinde | 6/18/2019 9:17:00 AM
Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO, Nigerians In Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) It is so so sad the behavior displayed by a Nigerian whose expired passport has been with held by the embassy for upwards of nearly two years.It is also more sad that this frustrated Nigerian took the law into his own hands. Needless to say how did this situation degenerate to this point? He must not have gotten the help he needed for two very short years so to speak. The Nigerian embassy failed him. He couldn't reach any one for help. How could he not know that the embassy closes at I pm and was making a call to a closed embassy at 2 pm. This is an embassy that will not answer your call even within their official working hours.. That brings me to question the Nigeria in Diaspora commission's role in the plight of Nigerians in Diaspora? I am sure this Nigerian has never heard of an office like Honorable Abike Dabiri-Erewa's or did Abdur Rahaman Balogun not hear of his or other cases of Nigerians abroad? He probably would have spoken to someone in that office before embarking on his one man frustration release spree. Another great feature of Nigerian symbol of affluence is inaccessibility of the people placed in office to help us.. You are not heard until you vandalize a place or property? That should change. By the way what kind of security is even available to the embassy that one man can go in and vandalize so many cars? If the embassy officials are thinking they should thank God the man got there at the close of office otherwise the story would be different. Let us not provoke each other to violence. Thats why we have rules and regulations to run nearly everything in our lives even our own homes let alone a bigger more embracing structure like the embassy. The commission needs to apologize to this Nigerian for driving him up the wall. The constitution governing the Diaspora office is ineffective and needs to be changed. For a Nigerian to be renewing passport for two years smell of corruption and fraud that is the cancer and bane of Nigerians great illness. When will our beloved , great stupendously rich nation begin to display God's splendeur for our mother land.A passport should not take more than one to three days to renew.Every one need a passport 24/7 especially abroad or away from home. Please save her people and redeem the image of Nigeria. I see a world class nation looking like a beggar nation because greed have consumed us. Please Madame honorable I am pleading you use your office to help Nigerians in diaspora indeed. May what you do concerning this situation make generations to come celebrate you forever. Change can start with you ma.
Yesterday was history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
By: anony