TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

Dolu, Felas sister, dies

By nigeriafilms.com

Late Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's only surviving sister, Dolu Ransome-Kuti, is dead. Aged 79, auntie Dolu, as she was fondly called, died on Friday, January 6 at the University of Lagos Teaching Hospital, LUTH, Idi-Araba, Lagos after a brief illness.

Born in Abeokuta, the capital of Ogun State, to the late Revd Oludotun and Chief (Mrs.) Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, the late Dolu, according to a press statement issued in Lagos by Miss Yeni Anikulapo-Kuti on behalf of Ransome and Anikulapo-Kuti families, attended her primary and secondary schools in Abeokuta before proceeding to the United Kingdom for a course in nursing.

On her return to Nigeria, she joined the Lagos State Ministry of Health and was posted to the famous Island Maternity where she worked for several years before she retired.

She is survived by a son, Yomi Ogundipe, who is based in America, grandchildren, cousins, and nephews and niece. The burial details, according to the release, would be announced later. Meanwhile, a condolence register has been opened at the Afrika Shrine, Agidingbi, Lagos and at her family home in Abeokuta.

Your Comment

Eileen Pollard | 2/17/2019 12:09:00 AM
Dolu was my friend when we both attended Camden School for Girls in north London in the 40s. She lived with our Headmistress, Miss Olive Wright. Dolu was terribly home-sick, I used to take her home with me sometimes after school where we would have tea with my parents. Sometimes she would talk about her family so far away. She wanted to be a nurse and to be trained in the UK. Her one desire was to care for her people. Unfortunately we lost touch after leaving school. She was a dear girl, it was a privilege to know her.
if u ar afraid of failure and do not work hard u end up failing and regreting
By: ofole johnsciencewiz