TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

FG to end HND, B.Sc. dichotomy – Minister

By The Citizen

The Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, has reiterated the resolve of the present administration to end the dichotomy between the Higher National Diploma, HND and the Bachelor of Science Degree, B.Sc. holders.

The minister said President Muhammadu Buhari was doing everything possible to end the vexed dichotomy, stressing that it makes little to place one above the other.

Speaking as the visitor to the 32nd combined convocation and diamond jubilee celebrations of Kaduna Polytechnic, on Saturday, the minister said‎ 'the present administration is aware of the dichotomy between Higher National Diploma, HND and the Bachelor of Science Degree, B.Sc. holders and has taken all necessary steps toward bringing an end to the issue.'

The dichotomy is mostly applied in the civil service where holders of polytechnic degrees are placed on the lower rung of the ladder and do not go beyond the level 14 in the service, irrespective of competence and performance.

Before now, previous administrations had promised to end the dichotomy but none had the gut to implement it.

Also, he appealed to the polytechnic unions to be patient with the present government as efforts are being made to address all their demands within available resources.

While appreciating the government and good people of Kaduna State for their immense contribution to the growth and development of education in Nigeria, he noted that good education is a veritable tool for the growth and development of any nation.

Represented by the Executive Secretary National Board for Technical Education, NBTE, Dr. Masa'udu Adamu Kazaure, the Minister charged the management of Kaduna Polytechnic to build on their achievements to ensure that the institution maintains her pride of place in the hallmark of fame for outstanding institutions in the country.

He challenged the alumni of the polytechnic to contribute to the speedy attainment of the technological development of the country by initiating meaningful projects on campus as a way of fast tracking the growth and development of their alma-mater.

In his address, Kaduna State Governor, Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai corroborated the minister's position and reiterated that 'no meaningful development can be achieved without a sound education.' - Nigerian Pilot.

Your Comment

Mike Oyeleke | 7/24/2016 10:46:00 AM
It is a welcome development in the education sector. Over the years, there have been this unwholesome disparity between the HND and the bsc holders in the labour market. Another issue waiting to be sorted out is the appropriate evaluation of the Advanced Diploma holders in the labour market. The Federal Ministry of Education should not leave this issue to linger for long.
Hassan Umar | 7/24/2016 4:23:00 PM
This is a welcome development , we pray that Allah the almighty should assist the present administration to address or rather end this dichotomy.
Dr. Godwin O. | 7/24/2016 8:05:00 PM
It is not bad, but the FG should finance the polytechnic education.
James | 7/25/2016 4:09:00 PM
No!!! it is bad...
Amb. Paul E.O. | 7/25/2016 12:03:00 AM
This is good news for all, we pray that this should be implemented as soon as possible, I can wait to see this.
Oni clement .o | 7/25/2016 9:14:00 AM
i sincerely appreciates what this present administration is really doing right now... i pray it will be implemented asap.
shakur | 7/25/2016 10:29:00 AM
Another story, I would rather believe this until a bill is forwarded to the national assembly to fully address this dichotomy,if not I wouldn't waste my time because of these, OBJ's govt also said these, and thereafter nothing came out of it.
Alh sani | 7/25/2016 12:40:00 PM
The truth shall always be said,the President should stand firm to see to end of this dichotomy. God bless d President,educ minister and all that concerns.
Sampson t paul | 7/25/2016 12:41:00 PM
It is generally acceptable.
Joluga | 7/25/2016 11:31:00 PM
Better....d more they encourage technology d better for d country. Its a very good development.
Joluga | 7/25/2016 11:32:00 PM
Better....d more they encourage technology d better for d country. Its a very good development.
Joluga | 7/25/2016 11:33:00 PM
Joluga | 7/25/2016 11:33:00 PM
wale | 7/26/2016 12:29:00 AM
james what is your problems concerning this issue?
Frank | 7/27/2016 7:47:00 AM
This is Legit, since UTME was successfully scrabbed, I believe this HND/BSc dichotomy will kick off ASAP, Malam Adamu Adamu, I love your work. Thanks
IBRAHIM | 7/27/2016 11:06:00 AM
we totally agree with u minister but please don't fall our hand
linus A.M | 7/27/2016 6:53:00 PM
i am very happy to hear this amazing story,long live FG,long live ministry of education, long live president of Nigeria & long live minister of education
Obi | 7/27/2016 7:39:00 PM
if PMB can do this for us l swear and recommend him for second term
Prince Nonso | 7/28/2016 8:26:00 AM
This is indeed a welcome development from the minister of Education (Malam Adamu Adamu) and PMB , Even if this ll be the only nice music he(PMB) ll play for Nigerians to dance it's enough. More strength and right sense of thinking.
temple | 8/18/2016 7:31:00 PM
I swear to God poly is the best ,see no university firs class can compere him or her self to my school distinction student, I mean fpi
Bala Adam Ya'u | 4/23/2017 12:31:00 PM
With such approach, would yield a good outcome in terms of development in Nigerian economy.
Hatred means unforgiveness!
By: Ayami Dennis