TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

WHY I DON’T WEAR SKIMPY DRESSES –SOLA ALLYSON-OBANIYI

By nigeriafilms.com

For many years, Sola Allyson-Obaniyi was a studio back-up singer to many artistes, many of them very popular like Stella Monye, Daddy Showkey, the late Gbenga Adeboye and Yinka Ayefele. She was, in fact, a member of Kayode Olajide's band.

One asset which you can't take away from the soft-spoken singer is her sonorous voice. After much prompting to feather her own nest, Sola decided to try her hands on the sound-track of one of Bimbo Oshin's films, Eji Owuro, together with some of her own compositions. She became an instant celebrity as the album sold out beyond expectation.

Sola is not one singer who depended only on her talent to build a musical career. She went ahead to acquire a Higher National Diploma in music at The Polytechnic, Ibadan. She started singing in church as a very young girl and she did everything to follow her mind, at variance with her father, who would have loved to see his daughter become a lawyer.

She said, “Because of the way I talked and analysed things, my father thought I would grow up to become a lawyer. But here I am today, a musician, to the glory of God.”

A great fan of Sola is her husband. She said, “After God, my number two supporter is my husband.” Such is the place of the father of her two children in her heart. A smile danced on Sola's face when she was asked to describe how she came about the man who is today her shining armour.

“We were both members of the Central Choir of the Celestial Church of Christ. We discovered that both of us always had the same attitude to things. We discovered that we shared the same interest and opinion, even when we were apart. We started as friends and on a platonic level, until we began to have deeper interest in each other. And today, by the special grace of God, he is my number one fan. He has given me all the support at his disposal to see me succeed in my career.”

Sola gave reasons why she would not wear anything skimpy or show any sensitive part of her body simply because she is an artiste.

“In fact, it had always been in me to keep men in suspense, to make them curious about what I have under that I cover. I am in love with African print and when I put it on like this, I am most beautiful. I must tell you that my dressing became part of what attracted me to my husband. When you expose your body, what else is left to make any man crazy about you? That is my opinion anyway.”

Sola, who recently released a follow-up to her first work called Gbeje F'ori, would not agree that it is only artistes that are wayward. She said if any artiste is seen as wayward, it is not that the art made her so, but that she is being human. “Afterall, I know of nuns that are wayward, I know of doctors, nurses and bankers that are wayward. It is only because artistes are more visible that people think we should behave like angels. No, we are also human beings.”

She told Appetiser that she regards her brand of music as inspirational and philosophical. She agreed though that there are elements of gospel in some of her songs.

Sola dismissed insinuations that artistes don't make good wives and husbands. As far as she is concerned, she is her huband's wife and will cook his food, as well as perform other roles expected of a wife.

“I am amused when people refer to you as star, and expect that you should not be your normal self anymore. I don't subscribe to such. It is only when I am on stage that you can call me a star or whatever. Once I am in my husband's house, I am his wife and mother of my children. I am a very simple person.”

Your Comment

Seun | 4/20/2016 6:17:00 PM
I recently learnt that she isn't as simple as she claims and looks. She was invited by an upcoming Gospel Artiste and she made several derogatory statements due to the environment of the ministration and she even insulted the Artiste personality. I want to Believe she had a bad day on that day Becos she is someone I love and respect so much. Sister shola please don't allow pride to overwhelm you. And don't despise little beginning of others Becos they will surely get there too.
Shola Abbas | 12/12/2016 10:45:00 PM
As a human being, no one is absolutely perfect, not to talk of if you are a waman made from a rip. Women are likely to misbehave especially when they have matrimony trouble. Same goes to my name-sake
Adura | 7/19/2018 12:13:00 AM
As you there.... My brother don'tget carried away with what you've heard
Oluwaseun | 8/10/2016 11:54:00 AM
Artist always need prayer bcos d spirit is willing bt d flesh is weak
Shola Abbas | 12/12/2016 10:35:00 PM
I love you my name-sake. May God bless your marriage.
omowumi | 12/30/2016 10:07:00 PM
please did u started with an audio cassette
Taiwo oladokun | 1/5/2017 3:30:00 AM
Sister i thank god for that kind of life you live then don't the way of god
oluwatobi | 4/8/2017 8:41:00 PM
Good evening ma, am a fan of yours ma .listening to your songs as really improved and enlightened me. I want to join your musical band ma I also have passion for music and would wannt to be under a powerful woman of God like u. I would be glad if my request is accepted
Bunmi Tosin | 6/2/2017 5:42:00 PM
May God continue to help u ma
Iammayowa | 6/27/2017 12:00:00 PM
Mumy sola I learnt u as well attend ccc central choir is dat true, anyway u d best u hv always picture to me wat Contemporary music is all about..... God bliss upon u mightily #Godspeed 2u ma.
Olufunmilayo Oshoba | 7/19/2017 1:56:00 PM
Sister Shola Is My Role Moder I Love Her Songs Especially The One Dat Says Ki Lon Sele Laye Taye Alaise Dojuru. I Love Dat Song So Much And Adun, God Will Continue To Give U More Wisdom And E Ni Su Bu Sowo Ota Ton De Yin, Jah Bless U Ma
Oluwaseun | 8/14/2017 10:42:00 AM
sister Shola, u are s rare gem and u av been a motivator to people especially me. I would like to b in our music world. would b appreciative if my request is granted
joshua | 1/9/2018 12:37:00 PM
that's cool but i think you know the arrival of our LORD JESUS CHRIST IS NEAR YOUR SONGS SHOULD TELL world.
Michael | 1/27/2018 11:17:00 AM
sister sola ur songs are inspirational i love ur voice may ur talent never die. i play drums
peter | 2/17/2018 7:53:00 PM
mrs obaniyi i love ur songs and am a fan of yours continue singing with ur angel vioce i pray dat the lord continue using u and ur talent will nt die we love u
Debbie | 4/25/2018 6:32:00 PM
Mrs Shola Obaniyi,thanks for being a good role model for people like,am a chorister nd music has always been my passion right from my teen's age,please,i would love to be part of your musical band
irewoletomiwa bukolami. | 5/2/2018 3:51:00 PM
I pray that the grace of God will not be frustrated over your life. I love ur ministrations, it blesses my life. more grace ma.
Omotayo Fasakin | 5/19/2018 5:14:00 AM
Sis Sola, I thank God for your life especially for your salvation. I see you as the freest lady on earth for making known to the public your beautiful part(beautiful because it has become a testimony that will lead others to Christ). Whoever Jesus sets free is freed indeed. I pray that everyone in the same situation you were in the past will see the joy you now radiate in Christ & turn away from ungodly ways. Congratulations to your husband too.
Olalere Sarah | 9/10/2018 5:43:00 PM
Your comment....Good evening ma, I'm a fan of your song and really love music but I have a cracking voice. I will be glad if u can help me in anyway, howbeit, will love to join your music crew
Unity is the only way to peace and must be travelled together.
By: Francis Tawiah --