TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

Saminaka: A Posterity Land Of Kurama People, Part One

By Thomas Garba Garu

In every race, tribe, kingdom or nation there must be stories that chronicle their existence as a people of bounded entity whose believes and norms are tied to their ancestral deity and faith. Kurama kingdom is one among so many kingdoms that have a truth root of existence, their being and also an origin of where they are coming from since time immemorial. I have the full doses of zest ability to disabuse the minds of some of our intruder’s settlers whose shallow understanding of their origin convinced them to believe that Saminaka is a land originally owned and discovered by Hausa people.

The article is emanated to help many out their especially a social group media known as “Ibrahim Lazuru Gaskiya da gaskiya” created by the present Lere LGA Chairman Alhaji Ibrahim Lazuru to foster love, unity and understanding but has since became a mischievous forum to rancor up enmity, fuelling up religion and tribal tension that can badly affect the fragile peace and unity that the country at large is trying to sustained. The social group seems to only have an agenda to scuttle and barter any struggle by a Kurama persons who are the blessed owner of saminaka kingdom, a land inherited by their ancestors.

The group is out just to sow seeds of hatreds among the many tribes in Lere L G A what is capable of engineering and fuelling up great enormity in the area.

It’s surprising to know that the sitting chairman, Hon Ibrahim Lazuru using some of his berated brain ones like Yusuf Saminaka to be formeting trouble in the most peaceful area in kaduna using all form of vulgar words on kurama the real owners of saminaka.

Please peace is paramount as part of our existence so we have to have a pact among the kurama and none kuram. Let me also give some important reasons to why kurama history has became indispensable in the history of saminaka land.

This note is to educate some people as they were misiformed on who kurama people are and how, when, they became the true owners of saminaka lands and her environs.

Before the formal introduction of the Kurama Chiefdom by the Makarfi Administration in Kaduna State, Akurmi commonly referred to as “Kurama” had its non-formal traditional institution way back in 1350AD. It was truly believed that “Akurmi” people were said to have originated from Iraq. They later migrated to Egypt, Sudan and briefly settled in Chad.

The search for suitable farmland, protective forest and in the spirit of avoiding Jihad wars migrated into Maiduguri Borno State where the Kurama sojourned for over 700 years before moving to Kano where they stayed for over 600 years.In Kano,kurama were believed to be the highest dominant people who inhabit the present day kantin kwari,the history has it that the land was having a high yielding farming products-meaning was an arable land.The history revealed also there are few of kuramas who were not willing to move down with Bugwama because of ill-health and others found out that Hausas customs and norms is typical to that of kurama ,because of dominance from their taskmaster (Hausas) most of them had turned up to be original Hausas in present days. Nowadays Kuramas are generally seen to be Hausas (Kanawa) play mates, a norm that stance to wade off enormity and rejuvenates love and unity in diversity (archives of history in Wikipedia)

There after the leader and king (Bugwamma) made a historic journey that was termed the Terminal Migratory Movement (TMM) into Kudaru Hills between 1350 then there was nothing like the present day Saminaka,still in search of enough land for cultivation,Bugwama asked all his subjects to decentralizes their farming skills and prowess to hinter lands of kuderu( present day Yarkasuwa)and her environs, Saminaka and her environs,Garun Kurama and her environs, Luwuna,Mariri, Kaku (Kayarda) where they finally settled. The Kudaru Hills has boundary with Zazzau, Bauchi, Plateau and Nassarawa States.(culled from British archives of History on African Languages)

The first and initial abode and settlement of the Akurmi people represent a 100% initial area of the final settlement for the Kurama People under the leadership, guidance and directives of the first paramount ruler Kurderu even after years of dispersal into different location of settlement within and around the present Saminaka, Lere and Piriga Chiefdoms. The Kurama and Gurza districts with numerous village heads scattered within all the 3 chiefdoms in Lere Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

A similar situation found in Kauru Local Government Area where the Kurama people occupy and have another district head in Karku District of Kumana Chiefdom also of Kaduna State. The same applies in Kubau Local Government of Kaduna State where sizable concentration of Kurama Community is found to reside up to the level of 3-ungranted districts in Zazzua Emirate.

The concentration and spread of the Kurama communities extends to Doguwa Local Government Area of Kano State where at one time or the other a Kurama Executive Council Chairman had past emerged. In the same vein the Kurama people are presently holding numerous titles as village heads at Tidere town of Jingre Pingina Chiefdom in Bassa Local Government Area of Plateau State. In recognition of the above size and extensive landed areas that spread within three neighboring states where the Kurama Community is found to dominantly exist.

There are presently seven (7) individually large major districts in Yarkasuwa and Kayarda Wards of Lere LGA that constitute Kurama- Chiefdom and the Names of the District Heads

1. Alh. Garba Yunusa Mohammed of Bissallah District

2. Alh. Abubakar Dogara Ukissah District

3. Hon. Mr. Simon Jakada of Wuroko District

4. Alh. Sale Abubakar of Kakun Kurama District

5. Alh. Suleiman Zatto of Goron Duste District

6. Mr. Sodangi Dan’(Late) of Maigamo District

7. Mr. Bello Damina (walin Kurama) Kudaru District

There are additional Kurama districts in different chiefdoms outside Kurama Chiefdom include:

• Garun-Kurama District, Luwana and Gurza Districts all in Piriga Chiefdom of Lere LGA.

• Abadawa District in Saminaka Chiefdom with numerous Villages heads yet to be granted districts.

• Karku District in Kumana Chiefdom is also 100% Kurama but located in Kauru LGA of Kaduna State.

The above historically coming of Kurama to the Hills of Kuderu and Saminaka 1350AD is no

doubt that they are the real owners of Saminaka Lands and as such they can never be minority as far as Lere LGA is concerned. I called on the Executive chairman of Lere LGA to be careful on the people he is using

as his social media propagandist to always show up his tribalistic agenda to dislodge the kuramas and other tribes in the area that they are nothing but nonentity and very irrelevant. By nature a kurama man is a peace loving person that is a reason far better than “WHY” their accommodative spirit of giving free lands to

immigrants and foreigners is still in their nature for peaceful coexistence and harmony. But to down play a people that welcome the none kuramas especially the Hausa Fulanis who became kurama immediate neighbours, in their way of life, virtually in their custom,tradition,they became kurama first friends and coworkers in various fields of endeavors shouldn’t be a right to over right them.

Your Comment

AMOS JIBRIN | 6/13/2015 1:48:00 PM
I am always proud of me being a kurama,also by seing the detail history of kurama,i pray dat may God continue to multiply us Amen ,also i pray to those responsible on issues of enliting pple should keep their work active
Bulus Maitalata Goje | 6/28/2015 12:00:00 PM
we thank God for people like you. God bless u.
Sunday uchara | 7/15/2015 3:03:00 AM
kurama pple most stand up 4 Dr rightful place, we most cme 2gether as 1, we most b our brothers keepers, we most appreciate d efforts of our leaders , and we most try b4 we triumph. we, DT we're away should help in educating our pple , and those at home should stop killing d pillars of 2mrw future. and lastly our politicians should be helpful 2 our youth in terms of job employment & opportunities with scholarship 2 study abroad .tnx .08137487117
Garba,A.MaiSamari | 7/15/2015 12:13:00 PM
together we must prevail. young vibrant kurama youths,we must all put in our best in our various endeavours of live to save our future,culture,children & history.nt jst our home saminaka bt also nigeria & the world.we stil stand for peace,love,strenght and greens.kudos to T.G. Garu.Ashini aworo
johny dagana jura | 10/13/2015 10:46:00 PM
am always proud and happy that to day I am kneagreay kurama boy with no fear if God should continue to hear and anwer our earnest pray we will make sanminaka a great place an also make sure that the land come to us pppppppopp
joe garba(ICHONDOM) | 10/21/2015 9:53:00 PM
I must first of all congratulate Thomas Garba Garu on his ardent revelations about KURAMA as an indivisible ethnic group.However,our laxity over the years has given room to sojourned Hausas to claim our lands.In this our generation,we shall continue to struggle to claim our lands from these vampires.Therefore,SA NO DOTE WA CIYE TATE NE UBUSA.AKURMI,NINKEN!! 08028333216.
Samaila Adamu(Comp.) Rah. Toro LGA Bauchi | 10/30/2015 4:28:00 PM
We thk almighty Allah 4given us pple like u, and my question here is, why u 4get us in Bauchi?
Adamu Ayuba | 11/1/2015 1:02:00 PM
AM sure, you are not forgotten, rise up and take up the challenge and show the world from Toro that you are Kurama. Show them what you got and be the very best.
henry | 10/31/2015 7:38:00 PM
veri enterestin mey the lord bless you an akur mi (kurama) atlage and mey the lord be wit you oll the days of ur life an(ours)true christ our Amen.please my advice 2 akurmi is dat we shull love each oder , bcouse if dere is lov dere is absultly noting can b impossible 4 us 2 do. we can take over our land at anitime bcouse dere is noting like killing each oder such as (buruwa) plz kurama we shull grow up tank
Adamu Ayuba | 11/1/2015 12:56:00 PM
Good work, just to add, during my school days in Saminaka (Government College, now called), I had the opportunity of discovering the Kurama people are very peace loving people that will also stand at all cost to affirm their rights. Domiciled in Bauchi, Plateau, Kaduna and Kano States. Traditionally very resolute and unconquered. The reason for the divide of the people amongst four States, we were made to understand might not be far from the The colonial lords and early rulers, seeking for the best avenue to diffuse them from uniting as a formidable force for ease of governance. As a Federation, any state they are moved to will give them the hegemony in numbers, irrespective of the drop offs due to religious conversions. Suffice to say, there is the urgent need for the Kurama people to institute a research Chair, in Nigeria, Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Stanford and all African Study Faculties for a thorough study of the Kurama Tribal Nation. Only then can we have literatures, materials that can form contemporary educational resource for Generation to come. Again, I will say well done for this great input, which should be a cause for action and not just a wish off. God bless Nigerians and the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Super Anthony ,from federe un magaji | 11/24/2015 3:48:00 PM
Akurmi pls be careful ,nowadays everything's done change help your Brother
Super Anthony | 11/24/2015 3:55:00 PM
if you eat today remember maybe your brother he never see what he go eat pls look your back give something to them God will bless you .pls some body say Amen Amen Amen
Nehemiah | 12/29/2015 11:15:00 AM
Kudos to the writer, always happy to be a kurama or bukurmi. Lets work hard as individuals wherever you find yourself, represent Akurmi and Akurmi land. More so, Akurmi, we must wake up for politics in Saminaka, we are gradually loosing out for Hausa people, yes we have Muslim Kurama, all of us must know that wether muslim or christian, we are Kurama and we should help ourselves, don't be carried away by religion. Akurmi ziman!
Shedrach H. Akissa | 12/29/2015 11:25:00 PM
....... Times nd seasons hv come nd gone, we always say d same tin"Akurmi ziman". Bt unfortunately, we r still sleeping;amongst us u can still find envy, jealousy, hatred, selfishness etc.Unless we stop decieving ourselves, we shall never move forward. Bt i knw wit God all tins are possible, may he unite us nd heal our land. Lastly, most of our youths r in schul, bt some of our "so called" wealthy akurmi citizens r nt willing 2 help us, always saying "ikurfe izaun". Pls lets help one another cos no body knws wat 2mrrw will bring forth.
sunny m.ukissa | 1/1/2016 8:25:00 PM
First of all i will gives thanks to mr.Garba for his effort of enlighting the kurama youth to this great mission.that has start.may God almighty build up our tommorow .to continued were he stoped amen.
Abubakar Ahmadu | 1/9/2016 9:32:00 AM
I am very proud to be a Kurama tribe, sanu dute waciye tate ne ubusa. Nu Mumbai ne way numzen, Akurmi gasikenme warka ashini. 08032912739 or 08056671166. Ungode
Sunday M. Abundu | 2/10/2016 12:22:00 PM
Nyankezai Akurni,akurmi Warke Ashini, Hare Kurfe Ne Haren Karanta Duten Achiye Bate Ti Kwa Nrammaro U Saminaka. Kar Binai Wai Bu,bu Yane Usalla Kusu Kar Bi Tanke Tikurmi Toben,tikase Ati A Pi U Salla Kuma Adini Thank 4 All Kurama Pplei
Bitrus Stephen Ukissa | 2/24/2016 8:36:00 PM
In yane sanu we ruwa warke san nai akurmi aninke arinu koyo wu nituma nitare, warke ayane haru a yane karanta
Baithalomi dankurama | 2/25/2016 11:49:00 PM
thans akurmi,akurmi zima 08056352277-09099056927-07083930886
Y M I (citizen) | 2/29/2016 12:13:00 PM
Akurmi ana zema Ashini une haro aye
hassan gideon maleka | 3/11/2016 5:17:00 PM
i am very glad and proud of me being kurama by tribe.(motto)sanu dote wa chiye tate nen ubusa so akurmi ziman
PAUL ILIYA ATANYO WUROKO USABON KASUWA | 3/13/2016 4:34:00 AM
UN GODE BAKA SHINI SU YANINBA BI KURMI,LET US UNIT TOGETHER KURAMA YOUTH
Ashiru Mustapha | 3/26/2016 9:56:00 AM
All The Above History About Some Minor Tribes Here In Lere Local Government Is Totally Lie. Those Propagander Will Not Make You Any Thing, In Nigeria No Where Kurama Are Apart From Kaduna State In Lere LGA, even here in what is there population there? you can found them in Garu, Yarkasuwa, Megamo, Jura. Ung Sarki Ana Some Minor Villages, But saying they from iraq or egipt or else are non sense story,
jibrin kurama | 5/18/2018 2:20:00 PM
who invite you to such discussion, watch your tongue
Jerry uwukare dengi goje | 4/15/2016 7:49:00 PM
At times our leaders are bringing us down.plz let us understand each oder coz we are ppl of love & cares 2 each other so let dis contineu 4rm generation 2 generation.
jeremiah agari | 5/13/2016 12:40:00 PM
wow so great,gud people great nation, God bless d intire akurmi land,Amen.
Magawata udai zephaniah; emberent, tidere | 5/16/2016 2:53:00 PM
I appreciate ur effort and wisedom, my prayer is dat, almithy God continue to providing pple like you tellented
Magawata udai zephaniah; emberent, tidere | 5/16/2016 3:03:00 PM
I appreciate ur effort and wisedom, my prayer is dat, almithy God continue to providing pple like you tellented
Musa Majagada | 5/25/2016 4:48:00 PM
I want to be like you one day to a proud of Akurmi empire
Joshua Vuwam Simon | 6/5/2016 4:43:00 PM
I first of all thank Almighty God for creating us the way he wanted us to be and must importantly as Kurama, it is heart touching If I remember the political Will that the kurama people lost since the time of Usman Danfodio Jihad, imaging how debilitating the value of the kurama man has gone. well that has been in the past and it could be seen as a mistake from our forefathers now the is on us that if we all this and could not do anything, then we are making the worst mistake which could not be compared to that of our forefathers. The advice I have to my good Kurama people is that we should try to know our values and culture and also always try to identify with each other wherever we find our selves. We need to remember our land and think of to build it not to allow strangers to bring segregation among us. God bless AKURMI!
Godwin Samaila Ayuba | 6/6/2016 12:18:00 AM
Am proud to be a kurama. Akurmi ninken! Akurmi ninken!! Akurmi ninken!!!
Alhamdu Sani unguwan shawara | 6/23/2016 12:22:00 PM
I am proud of kurama, may our good God continue to increase kurama and always to be peace makers in every situation. Amen.
Solomon p . z .mba Damcity | 7/18/2016 7:50:00 AM
Cudos 2 the writers, history help youngers 1 2 comprehend their orgine.
Solomon bulus | 8/2/2016 8:11:00 AM
One love for my p
Ani dauda impa Garu | 11/6/2016 10:17:00 PM
you can not denied the fact,kurama peace loving people
Danjuma T. Shawai ICHONDOM | 11/12/2016 3:52:00 PM
A very brilliant piece. Like any good thing in life, there is bound to be detractors. That only helps to make us thick. Akurmi zeman!
Adams D jikah | 12/7/2016 11:20:00 AM
My kurama people I will love to be part of this keep our society updated God bless akurmi
Gambo Friday (The Young Talent) kerau. | 12/9/2016 11:33:00 PM
"Education and Experience,"'the best medicine of the wise kurama!
emmanuel dauda | 1/9/2017 6:43:00 PM
Am Happy to have dis History to day God bless akurmi amen.
John | 2/9/2017 9:06:00 PM
well to back up ur claims u have to as sert ourselves politically. well done
shedrack Ibrahim | 2/23/2017 5:00:00 PM
kudos bro!!
Shedrack T | 3/2/2017 12:03:00 AM
4ever we are blessed no matter the situation, long live akurmi nation.......
Raymond john Bima kurama | 3/2/2017 7:01:00 PM
Iam very greatful for the enlightment i just got mr. Garba garu keep it up, may God of love keeps,sustains and protect kuram people, their land and their properties in paticular, for the benefits of him (GOD) who made us. Amen. "Akurmi ninken ti kanden achiye".
bitrus geoffrey kaku | 4/2/2017 5:13:00 PM
akurmi sanu dutuwaciye tati niyiubusa,am proud to be a kurama,lets joind hands to depend and protect our land
Sani dan kurama amos | 4/16/2017 2:47:00 PM
May the lord uniet us amen
Nuhu G. Kaku | 4/27/2017 10:07:00 PM
Akurmi Zeman. A har zen Akurmi tansa Bakashini uyane haron. Duk wasa' ukunan Akurmi hara aganaba? adiaga hau. ka'ashini uyadda tate vuwa nriam maroh sa Bigwama Ashini une haro. Ashini uchende haron naaye. nguede.
zibeon sirzee Bissallah | 5/16/2017 12:34:00 PM
Akurmi zeman. proudly a kuaramerian kudos all my kurama people One love all. proud to be a kurama Boy from kadirin kurama love my all,long live Nigeria Long live kaduna state long live saminaka lere local government area council love u All!!!!!!!
zibeon sirzee Bissallah | 5/16/2017 12:37:00 PM
Akurmi zeman. proudly a kuaramerian kudos to all my kurama people One love all. proud to be a kurama Boy from kadirin kurama love you all,long live Nigeria Long live kaduna state long live saminaka lere local government area council love u All!!!!!!!
Galadima Shedrack | 5/23/2017 6:24:00 PM
Am proud 2 be a kurama boy,, I know by the grace of God we are heading 2 somewhere... Long live kurama kingdom.
Isaac aburma majagada | 5/29/2017 9:50:00 PM
umm the problem we have is our politicians that are badly killing us with their selfish ambition, trying to remain champion forever which is impossible, the lack mind to grow others, forgetting tat the will die one day,i no need to mention them cos we all know them, we badly miss musa shekarau and Ishaku damina, may God have mercy on them, their legacy still remain forever.
idris h ukissa mbuka | 6/20/2017 8:46:00 PM
Am proud to be a kurama.Akurmi sano dote wa ciye tati ni ubosa,Akurmi te zimin
Barr. Khalid Ahmad Lazuru | 8/30/2017 1:12:00 PM
This story is not true! 07068248537
Moses y noah | 10/9/2017 10:02:00 AM
Ok wrete ur onw.we waity plz.
Moses y noah | 10/9/2017 9:56:00 AM
Let us believe kurama Akurmi, tells our brother what this people means, we are the strong pple in souther kaduna saminaka is our land or the like or not, and infrms our tribes brothers let us love ourselve.
Suleiman Anem Dangana | 12/16/2017 10:45:00 AM
This is a nice piece that tells us what we should and what we should do. I really appreciate all those who put much efforts to come up with this great piece may the good Lord bless you abundantly. Akurumi people, we must put our hands together before we can achieve a lot of things. let's do away with our differences and embrace one another in love and unity. Thank you very much
Matthew Isah Jurah | 1/20/2018 2:20:00 PM
That is the most brilliant history of Kurama origin I am indeed very glad.
yusuf | 1/21/2018 5:48:00 PM
Really appreciate your expository report to counter the lies that have continuously challenge our existence as a people but do you have facts to your claim that kumana chief is 100% kurama?
DANLADI MANASSEH NICE BITARANA | 3/5/2018 2:32:00 PM
akurmi pls let us unite our self .
DANLADI MANASSEH NICE BITARANA | 3/5/2018 2:32:00 PM
akurmi pls let us unite our self .
Joshua Bulus Jakada | 3/9/2018 3:21:00 PM
I thank God that make me a KURAMA man akurmi zima tibiyati ayiani a yan karinta
YUSUF K.C MAJAGADA 1 | 3/21/2018 7:52:00 PM
Akurmi we are great keep it up may the good God continue to bless us long live nigeria long live akurmi language.
Ruth Yemen Yango | 6/2/2018 11:19:00 AM
All my prayer is for God to see us through in all our endeavors
Emmanuel A. Sallau Yadin Garun Kurama | 7/20/2018 11:31:00 AM
Am proud 2 b a kurama, i pray may the almigty God cotinue 2 improve, guide, & protect the akurmi pple in the entire world at large, and 4 the pple like Abishiru Mustapha & the rest who invite u? your nt invited, so i may urge u 2 withdraw ur statements or prove. long live nigeria/akurmi land, akurmi ziman.,,,,,
Fullo warsa | 8/29/2018 5:49:00 PM
Saminaka & lere all originated from fulani wunti.so stop using harsh word.
blessing ibrahim jura | 8/29/2017 6:32:00 PM
pls, i want to know the real kurama attire.just as other languages hav their attire like idoma, gbagyi, tiv etc.pls i want to know wat ours looks like and if we dont have any, i suggest we should get one for formal and proper identification as kurama people or akurmi.