TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

Allocation Of Credit Reslut Grades To Dead Students Of Oko Poly & Related Matters

By INTERSOCIETY

Ref: Intersociety/NG/06/015/002/Rector/FPO/AN

Prof Godwin Onu

Rector, Federal Polytechnic

Thro

The Deputy Rector (Administration)

Office of the Rector, Federal Polytechnic

Oko, Anambra State, Nigeria

Sir,

Complaint Against Wrongful Allocation Of Results To Deceased Students & Related Issues: A Call For Investigation & Redress (2)

(Public Issue, Onitsha Nigeria, 4th June 2015)-Sir, International Society for Civil Liberties & the Rule of Law-Intersociety, is an international rights organization formed and incorporated in 2008 with headquarters in Onitsha, Southeast, Nigeria. Intersociety thematically works for protection and advancement of democracy and good governance, civil liberties and rule of law as well as security and safety. Our advocacy activities and other information about us are available on www.intersociety-ng.org .

Sir, it is recalled that we have on 21st May 2015 written your respected office through the School’s Deputy Rector for Administration. Our friendly letter arose from several oral and written complaints to us by concerned students of the Science Laboratory Technology of the Higher National Diploma (ND 2) of the 2012/2013 Session or “ND Finalists”. The crux of the complaint-letter is the wrongful allocation of credit grade exam results to some deceased students as well as some students of the said Department of the Science Lab Tech who left the School long before the referenced exams ( 2nd semester of ND 1-2012/2013 Academic Session).

There was also gross mix up and missing results involving many students of the Department who took part in the referenced exams. As we write, the affected students are restless and in a state of fear, anguish and despair following uncertainties surrounding their fate as final year students. We have it on good authority that they will be leaving the School in less than two weeks. In all, 400 students, out of 700 students of the Department are affected by the anomalous results under reference. Reports also have it that the students particularly the likes of Ejidike Stephen (07064601819) and Agu Oluchukwu (08089958161) are being threatened and labeled rebels by the School authorities particularly by their Head of Department, one Dr. Mrs. Rufina Muoka Ogechukwu (08037503949). Sir, the first letter under reference, dated 21st May 2015, is reproduced as follows:

“In April 2015, some students of the Science Lab Technology of the Higher National Diploma (ND 2) of your respected Polytechnic made a complaint to our leadership in Onitsha, Nigeria concerning the above subject. The referenced students, who complained on behalf of themselves and their colleagues, belong to the 2012/2013 Session (ND finalists).

Complaint: That their 2nd Semester ND 1-2012/2013 Academic Session examination results contained fundamental omissions such as missing results, mis-allocation of results and allocation of results to the deceased and former students that never took part in the referenced examination. That prior to the referenced anomalies, your respected office and your person had the honour and privilege to address the students of your respected Poly including the student-complainants immediately the end of protracted public Poly strike of 2013; and assured them of the safety of their academic journey in your respected Poly including safety of their results and related academic records. The referenced assurances of your respected office followed possible misplacement and defacing of academic files and documents owing to the said unfortunate protracted strike.

The referenced students’ complaint followed anomalies found in their results when they were officially released. While some found theirs missing, others were awarded low marks. The most striking of it all was discovery made whereby some deceased students who died long before the referenced exams were held; were awarded excellent marks. Some students who left the respected Poly long before the referenced exams were also awarded favourable marks.

One of the deceased students awarded marks in exams he never participated is late Ezeh Uchenna with Registration Number FPO/SLT/ND/R1/012/038. He was given upper credit or “3.05” and awarded 67 in Cell Biology (STB 121), 81 in Organic Chemistry (STC 121), 60 in Physical Chemistry (STC 122), 49 in Electricity & Magnetism (STP 121?), 44 in Optics & Waves (STP 122), 66 in Analytical Chemistry (STC 123), 70 in General Lab Techniques 111, 69 in Computer Packages 1(COM 123), 64 in Research Method (STC 201) and 52 in Citizenship Education (GNS 127). Some of the students who left the respected Poly after the first semester of ND 1, but awarded the anomalous results are Offorbuike Ginika and Offorbuike Daniel with Reg. Numbers FPO/SLT/ND/R11/012/160 and FPO/SLT/ND/R2/012/212 respectively.

Internal Complaint/Investigation: Following the anomalies under complaint, the affected students made frantic efforts to draw the attention of their lecturers and head of department. They also reached out to the office of the Registrar of the respected Poly as well as Dean of Studies of the School of Applied Sciences. The referenced complaints were put in writing as advised by some of their lecturers. Sadly, their head of department, who is now a Dean, reportedly scolded them and terrified them for speaking out and putting their grievances in writing and availing them outside their department. They were also reportedly threatened with rustication and accused of being instigated by certain malicious persons.

On our part, on receiving the complaint, we reached out to our journalist-friends in the respected Poly’s Public Relations Office and they promised to intervene and get the issue resolved amicably and satisfactorily. But from the middle of April till this date, nothing assuring has come from the said promise.

Call: We call on your respected office to look into the matter and resolve same timorously. Strictly speaking, we see nothing wrong in students raising a complaint over their academic results fate. What ought to and still need to be done is to investigate their complaint with intent to finding merit or demerit in their referenced complaint and if it has merit, the anomalies should be corrected; if no merit is found, it should be communicated to them as well, with facts showing their complaint lacks merit. This is more so when the affected students said they have already conferred with some of the lecturers that handled the referenced courses and the exams, resulting in differences in the lecturers’ raw result score sheets confirming the students’ complaint.

This notwithstanding, there should be formal and comprehensive investigation into the complaint by your respected office or by a body delegated by your respected office. We also advise against meting out any punitive action against any or all of the affected students”.

The Purpose Of Our Second Letter: Our second letter to your respected office follows continuing threats on the lives and liberties of the affected students including the duo of Ejidike Stephen and Agu Oluchukwu, who are accused of being paid or hired by some lecturers to destabilize the School and attack and unseat the referenced Head of Department (HOD). The latter accusation has consistently featured in face to face contacts between the students including Ejidike Stephen and Agu Oluchukwu and the Head of Department under reference. One of such contacts took place on Monday evening of 25th May 2015, when the referenced students went to her office to remind her of their problem. She reportedly not only bashed them, but also threatened their human person forcing them to flee her office.

Just two days ago-2nd June 2015, they were called and invited telephonically by the School security authorities to come and defend the letter Intersociety wrote to the School and defend their involvement over same. The students also informed Intersociety that their names have been forwarded to the School’s Anti Cult Brigade to be treated as common criminals and cultists. As a matter of fact, they have gone into hiding; operating amorphously to avoid being physically assaulted and held captive. Their state of mind is also psychologically battered leading to mental torture.

We regard these approaches as very uncalled for, reprehensible, despicable and condemnable. The School (Oko Federal Poly) under your respected midwifery must not be an outlaw and dangle with the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 particularly its Sections 35 (personal liberty), 36 (fair hearing) and 39 (freedom of expression). Your School must also understand that the engine room of the corporate social responsibilities, which it is a party to; is founded on human rights. Students who complain of certain anomalies through duly constituted processes are not only sticklers of due process, but also entitled to fair hearing and free speech or expression.

It saddens our heart that till date, no reasonable investigation over the students’ complaint has been commenced and concluded by the School authorities. As for the referenced Head of Department, who was newly elevated to the academic rank of Deanship, we demand that she should be called to order and compelled to revisit the issue under complaint. As we have earlier demanded, no student of the referenced Department should be punished or maltreated over the issue.

The students’ position and assertion that the lecturers that handled the referenced courses and exams should be compelled to tender their raw result score sheets for the purpose of crosschecking results in their possession with those wrongfully published by the Department and the School authorities; should be commended and heeded. The recent order of the said HOD to lecturers of her Department to upload all continuous assessment works in accordance with published anomalous results; should be suspended until a full and conclusive investigation into the complaint is carried out and its findings made and communicated to the affected students.

Yours Faithfully,

For: International Society for Civil Liberties & the Rule of Law (Intersociety)

Emeka Umeagbalasi, B.Sc. (Hons) Criminology & Security Studies

+2348174090052(office)

[email protected] , [email protected]

Uzochukwu Oguejiofor, Esq., (LLB, BL), Head, Campaign & Publicity Department

Your Comment

Ananyo Uzoma | 6/4/2015 11:01:00 AM
The former HOD and now Dean, Dr. Mrs. Rufina Muoka Ogechukwu must remember that the reign of impunity is gone. Her threats and boasts of what she will do to the students if she is ever brought to the public is but a big question mark as how she rose to the present office. With all her bottom power, she will never succeed in distorting the destiny of the Nigerian youths who have honestly pursued education. I think that highly placed Higher Institution personnel like this so called Dean must be reformed to comply with today's reality
Adaeze Onuegbu | 6/4/2015 11:09:00 AM
Mrs Muoka is a heartless woman. Her obsession on fetish beliefs makes her feel that she is above the law. She is always fighting imaginary colleagues who she see as rivals
T | 6/4/2015 1:28:00 PM
The so called HOD must be call to order. she is just using her position as she likes thinking she is above the law. Due to her carelessness,the students of S.L T depth. both last year nd this year didn't serve (NYSC) What a shameful nd disgraceful act! Call . Really want d Respected Rector Prof . Godwin Onu to investigate d mater cos he was d one who said non of d student wil huv problems or issues with 2012/2013 result due to long public Polytechnic strike. Warning: If anything happens to d students d HOD was threating,the person of Ejidike Stephen and Agu Oluchukwu she gat to answer for it. Great Nigeria Great Nation
GN | 6/4/2015 2:55:00 PM
This matter is a very serious matter..because we the students are not happy with d manipulated result which was said to be our result because our future is at stake here..just lyk my fellow student said..if anything happens to Stephen or Oluchi..d HOD Mrs muoka will answer for it.We need dis matter to be investigated..i wonder y a deceased student will have such an excellent result.its only in okopoly DAT a deceased had a result
bruce | 6/4/2015 7:37:00 PM
d HOD is a cold and heartless woman who has never for once had d interest of d students at heart.How could over 300 students have omission and reference in one course its alarming,wen one of d lecturers was asked,he used he wasn't d one who marked d exam papers of d course he taught,who marked it then,ghosts?The woman has really gone against everytin did honorable dept stands for.
princess | 6/4/2015 8:02:00 PM
hmmmmmm am nt happy at all d day i saw my result how can i hav five omission, how can a dead student have a wonderful result hmmm na d dead person come write d exam.HOD God is watching.Is it how ur result was wen u were in skul or dat ur own HOD den treated u dis way abi dat u ar naturally wicked.Remember dat u hav children and nting on earth last for ever. madam gud name is better dan wealth and power.D student u maltreat and threaten just becus u ar on power might b ur helper tomoro .my advice for u is to give ears to ur student and solve dey problem becus tomoro is pregnant
Density | 6/4/2015 9:53:00 PM
mrs HOD, pls resolve all dis issues amicably. Dis is 21st century,let justice prevail.....
Jesus baby | 6/4/2015 10:07:00 PM
Right 4rm the very 1st day d so called h.o.d steppd in as d new h.o.d notin gud has happnd in the dept other than carry over and omission...very wicked,swagless,lazy nd dirty woman who does ntn bt spend our dept dues extravagantly...i thought she had d fear of God in her..ur father walai.yeye woman
Mistres | 6/5/2015 1:21:00 AM
True talk hun
2million | 6/4/2015 10:19:00 PM
Mrs h.o.d,my prayer 4 u is dat u mst confes b4 u die
Gold | 6/5/2015 1:07:00 AM
iseeeeeeeeee
valentine | 6/5/2015 12:23:00 AM
The so called useless HOD must face the law....I wonder what the so called anti~cult is doing that they can't investigate properly.....am taking this case to rector 2moro iff he didn't say any reasonable thing concerning this matta I will sue fedpolyoko...
Gold | 6/5/2015 1:07:00 AM
supported
Gee | 6/5/2015 1:26:00 AM
My gee i dey hail u. True talk #BRAVO
k.s | 6/5/2015 12:33:00 AM
what d woman did and doing is not acceptable many of friends in my department are victims of this issue......m also pleading d school authority to plead our case in SLT it's all true as stated above thanks!!
Goldee | 6/5/2015 1:18:00 AM
Any woman dat enjoyed what is suppose to enjoy with her husband with another man hs committed adltery and that's what the so called HOD did to seat in dat postion dat dosnt suit her. Useless nd heartless human being God will cont. to punish MUOKA RUFINA OGECHUKWU(DOCTOR MY FOOT) Even the bible said 'that the wicked ones will never go unpunished. Imagine 400 student out of 700 had refernce and omissions why the DECEASED and FORMAL STUDENTS had wonderfull results TUFIAKWA!!!!!!
3rd Eye | 6/5/2015 10:04:00 AM
Tomorrow must surely come when the errors/evils committed by Prof. Onu, Ejike Nwabuona, Gladys Anene, Ruffina Muoka, JBC Onyeagba, Nsionu and others will be exposed and corrected. On that reckoning day, there will be no hiding place for any evil doer.
Mr Mouka | 6/5/2015 12:02:00 PM
3rd eye, plz i dnt support u for dis. y will u call all dos dt didnt do anytin. as far as am concerned, jbc, my honourable rector n co r really tryin dia best.
Tobi | 6/5/2015 10:57:00 AM
HMMMM. dis is a serios issue. buh 1 tin dt i knw vry welll is dt d HOD should hv listenin ears. I rememba wen sum students hv missisin script in our dept at NAU, afta complainin 2 our HOD, d man tk d students and went 2 d so cald dept dt gav dem missin script and giv dem automatum of a day 2 produce d result, d folowin day d result apeard. Dts hw it sopos 2 b done, a leader sopos b d servant nd also hv lustenin ears. basad on d story i read, evrytin was clear, why cnt dey review dia exams papers den knw were d mistake startd.
Tracygee | 6/7/2015 10:09:00 PM
My dear it's just a simple thing to do buh she is making it a big deal thinking she is above the law.
Mr. Muoka | 6/5/2015 11:53:00 AM
It is a despicable ignominy. The escalated chronological impetus that got her to seat should answer all this questions. She is the almighty President CWO. But wait a minute, who called her a phd holder where she cant teach from all ramifications. Shes nt jst money concious but inconsiderate.
4th eye | 6/5/2015 2:08:00 PM
Ur ryt Mr . Muoka she is nt only inconsiderate but she an ingreat
Powa | 6/5/2015 12:37:00 PM
I don't like how we are being bullied, if you decide telling your parents, they will think you came to school playing..... Not knowing it's not our fault
Mrs muoka(wickedwitc | 6/5/2015 2:13:00 PM
The so called HOD nd useless HEAD OF CWO she is useless nd heartless,she is nt behaving like a mother at allllllll. f*ck HER!!!! GOD MUST SURELY JUDGE HER FOR PLAYING THE STUDENTS FUTURE
judgement day | 6/5/2015 5:19:00 PM
One thing is for no matter what u do u must ansa for it, please PhD . my foot, who is the doctor hia, som1 that sit and teach, her place should be a kindergarten not hia
lincoln | 6/6/2015 1:30:00 PM
hmmm I regret d day I met diz woman 4 an ....important issue...d kind insult she poured on me eeeh...anyway what goes up will surely cme down only God in heaven will judge uuu...u have children oooo!!!!!!!
Lord Colnel | 6/7/2015 8:10:00 AM
My people education have boil down to low ebb in this school, days are gone when examination is a true test for knowledge but now a is a different case, results is being merchandise in my department, what a citadel of learning. Our academic Institutions have been fairly compromised. Sorting and malpractices of all kinds being order of the day but not-withstanding the feeble state of our educational sector, there still exist the good students who still believe in the need to work hard as a scholar, so help us God. Even if rector like it or not our exam with OMR sheet is not mark, our result was just synthesized with the help of continous assesement and I have some evidence to it. So let him go in and settle himself before he drag the name of this school to muld and stop calling peoples name or threatening because we done no wrong by complaining about the flub that blimp in my result. Call: we call on people of higher authority in education sector to com to our rescue before the bad eggs of this school drag the name of this noble institution to muld and our effort so far in this school will be in vain.
Tracy | 6/7/2015 10:02:00 PM
It saddens my heart that our education status is now nothing to write home about. The so called HOD must be call to order. Y will she threatened us with rustication and accused of being instigated by certain malicious persons which is uncalled for. I strongly believe dat our exams (OMR) wia not marked rather they only used our continuous assessment(evidence is intact). This notwithstanding the Rector shuld carry out formal and comprehensive investigation nd stp accusing innocent people who are not responsible for the anomalies found in our result. Call: we call on the ministry of education nd other people in higher educational sector to come to our aid
venerable | 6/8/2015 12:12:00 PM
Wot I no is dat dat woman didn't worth to be a lecturer let alone of bin a hod buh it's well. only god will judge we mortals. u beta amend ya ways cos Dia wunt be a chance for u at d last day.
sunshine baby | 6/8/2015 8:32:00 PM
The so called HOD, I don't even expect her to give ear to what we are saying because she can only give what she has right? so she didn't came out with upper credit so why will she let us have it. I am one of the victims so Mrs Muoka (CWO president) as you're called I promise you one thing, we will be better thank children come, come sun.
5th eyes | 6/8/2015 11:33:00 PM
Yes ooo boo
bush wazzy | 6/9/2015 11:29:00 AM
Dr Mrs muoka as they address u remember that the evil men do live after them.because you are only concerned in embezzlement of our fund instead of of fighting for d interest of d student bt mind you that what goes up must surely come down.daalu
Oge | 6/9/2015 9:30:00 PM
the so called Mrs Rufina Mouka is heartless, egocentric, wicked in fact anything uncalled for. I wonder why that women is so heartless that she soled her heart to corruption, because I know that the reason why she didn't want to listen to us is because money is not involved assuming that money is involved she would have listened. We are not the one fighting you but God is fighting our battle because our cry have reached His thrown of mercy and we will never fight you, because the of God says in Jer. 32:27 that l am the God of all humanity it there anything seem impossible for me to do? and I answered NO. so better mend your ways and stop finding excuses on who is after you or not. but come to think of it who will ever be after you? what's in you that will attract people to you, is it your heartlessness, the Dorothy nature of yours or what. a beg go and do what you're suppose to do and stop wasting your time, that is if you have any.
HOD SLT | 6/11/2015 10:02:00 PM
My fellow scientists all we should be doing now is thanking God for it has come to light that those results aren't ours.For the HOD Dr.Mrs R.O Muoka, we all knw that she is incompetent in her work from the onset but i promise u my co-scientists that justice must take it cause
holyson | 6/12/2015 6:06:00 PM
It's disheartening to hear that such obnoxious act is being perpetrated by the very one person who is supposed to be the custodian of justice in the department. Most a times, I wonder why the so called anti cult group was constituted. Was it to check mate the activities of cultists or be used as a tool to threaten innocent students? The rector has every mechaniary at his disposal to investigate the matter, but rather he is being biased. One thing remains certain, no matter how highly placed or connected the HOD is, justice will surely prevail. Gone are the days when One shy away from the truth simply because he or she was threatened. On this note, I salute the likes of Colnel and Tracy for standing out. Your course will never be in vain. --