TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

Nigeria: Ban urges restraint as inter-religious violence takes deadly toll

By UN

20 January - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today appealed for maximum restraint after inter-religious violence in the central Nigerian city of Jos has reportedly left over 200 people dead.

He also appealed to all concerned to “seek peaceful solutions to religious and other differences in the country,” in a statement issued by his spokesperson.

“In particular, he calls on all political and religious leaders in Nigeria to work together to address the underlying causes of the recurring sectarian violence in the country.”

Mr. Ban took note of the Government's expressed determination to find a permanent solution to the crisis in Jos, and urged that every effort be undertaken to restore stability and avoid further deterioration of the situation, the statement added.

Deadly clashes between Muslims and Christians in Jos in November 2008 killed several hundred people and displaced thousands of others. In addition, at least 100 people were reportedly killed in northern Nigeria last July during clashes which pitted local Muslims against police forces.

Your Comment

Ovemiamak | 3/22/2010 10:15:00 AM
hi im restored here tenet to tolerate grief of mode pepole and concession possessions here....
ArriniUndix | 5/29/2010 12:06:00 PM
Hey i'm new to this. I came upon this forum I find It very useful & it's helped me out loads. I hope to contribute & support other people like it has helped me.

Thanks, Catch You Around
ArriniUndix | 6/5/2010 5:40:00 AM
Good Day i'm new to this. I stumbled upon this forum I have found It truly accommodating and it has helped me loads. I hope to contribute and help other people like it has helped me.

Cheers, See You Around.
Beepeveanna | 6/6/2010 8:23:00 PM
Hey im new on here. I came accross this chat board I have found It quite accommodating & it's helped me out a great deal. I should be able to give something back and assist other people like its helped me.

Cheers, See You Around
ArriniUndix | 6/15/2010 9:48:00 PM
Hey i am new to this. I came accross this message board I find It amply accommodating and it has helped me out a lot. I should be able to give something back & support other users like its helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See Ya Around.
the secret of great men are in their stories
By: ukpere chuks