TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

Buhari calls for total Sharia in Nigeria

By pointblanknews.com

A former military ruler of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, has called for the introduction of 'total' Islamic law across the country, reports said on Monday.

He made this call at a conference organized by the Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs in Kaduna.

Buhari, who ruled Nigeria from a coup in December 1983 to his ouster in 1985, told a seminar in Kaduna, northern Nigeria, at the weekend that the strict Islamic law code known as the Sharia should be introduced in full across Nigeria.

“I will continue to show openly and inside me the total commitment to the Sharia movement that is sweeping all over Nigeria,” Buhari said, quoted in press reports.

“God willing, we will not stop the agitation for the total implementation of the Sharia in the country,” Buhari said.

Northern Nigeria is mainly Muslim but southern Nigeria is mainly Christian and has led criticism of the introduction of Islamic law in a dozen northern states in the past 18 months.

Africa's most populous country has been shaken repeatedly in the past by religious unrest. In February 2000 between 2 000 and 3 000 people were killed by Christian-Muslim riots in Kaduna over the introduction of Sharia.

Call for Sharia across the country

Buhari's comments were interpreted by the southern-based papers as a call for the imposition of Sharia all across the country, even in the mainly Christian south.

“Buhari calls for Sharia in all states,” was the headline of the respected newspaper The Guardian.

Buhari's comments were defended by supporters as simply a call for the full implementation of Sharia in areas where Muslims predominated.

But the comments are the second by Buhari that have courted controversy after he called earlier this year for Muslims to vote at the next presidential elections only for someone who would defend their faith.

This was criticised by the press as a call for voting along religious lines, as well as an attack on the current president, Olusegun Obasanjo, who is a Christian.

Buhari made the latest comments at a seminar organised by the Supreme Council for Sharia in Nigeria, a newly set up body attended by northern state governments and Islamic scholars.

“It is a legal responsibility which God has given us, within the context of one Nigeria, to continue to uphold the practice of Sharia wholeheartedly , and to educate non-Muslims that they have nothing to fear,” he said.

“What remains for Muslims in Nigeria is for them to redouble their efforts, educate Muslims on the need to promote the full implementation of Sharia law,” he went on. – AFP

First published in 2001

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

The post Buhari calls for total Sharia in Nigeria appeared first on Pointblank News .

Your Comment

Joe | 12/15/2014 4:12:00 PM
The future of Ngerian belong to the youth who may decides the next president. Buhari should come out public and confirm his ambition turning the country to islamic state by introducing sharia law in a country hafly divides 50/50 between christian and Muslin . Most Nigerian already know Buhari as being Islamist foundamentalist. The former head of state he strengthen and promotes Sharia law across northern Nigeria ,and controvertial Nigeria OIC members ushered by IBB with his Arab cleric allies . Nigerian would ultimately SAY NO thank you Mr Buhari islamiist extremist ambition plan calling for total sharia law in the country.
Aboki | 12/15/2014 6:01:00 PM
Buhari shod go home and wait for his sharia after his demis because sharia is not part our economic policy. I wonder . If he dont know he to do politics he should not cary pride. Sorry. He wil and can. Never. Be president. Again. Go to help!
BB. | 12/15/2014 6:44:00 PM
Buhari is a day dreamer, he is sick.,if not so,how could he think he will ever rule Nigeria again, lets see how he is going to do it. did he not see his fellow brother IBB, he watch his stands and with draw far from politics.
Alyx | 12/15/2014 7:20:00 PM
Peace loving Nigerians should always weigh comments being made by top Nigerian citizens, including Buhari. No peace loving leader should take side on religion and our fears are being confirmed that Buhari is an Islamic fanatic whose emergence as a president would unfailingly put Nigeria into an greater religious conflict. Let us reason early enough and decline to vote for Buhari. The APC mislim Muslim ticket is an issue not fit for mention, yet they have been brooding over this for long. Let's say no to Buhari presidency and Muslim Muslim candi Dacy. A stitch in time saves .....
Paulinus Emmanuel | 12/15/2014 7:38:00 PM
Going to happen.c us 2ru papa God!!!
don | 12/15/2014 8:59:00 PM
With is man,which way nigeria is going,it seem nigeria is one man country.
Don | 12/15/2014 10:30:00 PM
thanks God,he have expose him self early
Hugo Sylver | 12/17/2014 8:31:00 AM
Please, I sincerely want to know the name of the man in Anambra state, that GMB' campaigners are clamouring that he married the general's daughter, his family name, village and town.
I wish APC had produced another candidate.

when a man sells his dog because it squats and bites, and thereafer buys a monkey, he has not made a relevant changes, because even monkey squats and bites also. lets shine our eyes.
BALA | 12/17/2014 5:05:00 PM
Look here old man, if you continue like this again you will fail. I think u will save Nigerian but yours is going to be a disaster if you come the president. You will not have Christian votes.
Amin | 12/17/2014 5:05:00 PM
I cannot understand this 72 year Old man Alhaji Buhari APC Presidential flag bearer, if he brings in full implementation of Sharia in the Northern State especially North West. what will be the faith of Non - Muslim who are residing there. people should shine their eyes. A devil you know is better than unknown Angel who might later be a demonic angel.
Emmanuel | 12/18/2014 4:11:00 AM
THAT'S WHY ALMIGHTY GOD WILL NOT AND NEVER ALLOW THE BIG f**l ASCEND TO THAT THRONE IN JESUS NAME, AMEN. HE CAN NEVER HAVE PEACE IN LIFE.
Nigeria wake up | 12/18/2014 10:09:00 PM
My dear Christians wake up and vote out d beast. He is not even pretending or hiding his agenda. To islamis nigeria. His dream must be destroyed. No wonder he is so desperate.hmmmmmmm may God save us.Amen.
name James | 12/21/2014 3:07:00 PM
If Buhari has his way he will eliminate all christians in just a night to facilitate his ambition of having a complete islamic nation. Vote Buhari and vote sharia. Be wise, vote wisely. Nigria is a circular nation and cannot be islamised by some old ambitious religious fanatics.
ABDULHAMID ISHAKA | 3/6/2015 9:12:00 PM
I realy fill so discourage by having this sad news,because is very wrong and unfair for Buhari to says this word at this junction.
John Agwu | 4/11/2015 1:38:00 PM
Whether this report is true or is just a mere sensationalisation.There is no way Buhari cam successfull implement sharia law across Nigeria especially christian dominated states .if he tries it then heaven will fall in this Nigeria.so he is free to impliment it in his own state.
KINDNESS IS THE LANGUAGE THE BLIND CAN SEE AND THE DEAF CAN HEAR
By: ESTHER YAMOAH