TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

Oyo rewards outstanding students in national competitions

By The Citizen

The Oyo State Government has rewarded two of its students and a school that won different laurels and prizes in national competition.

One of the students, Motolani Akinpelu of Alayande School of Science, Oke Bola, Ibadan won first position at the Professor Wole Soyinka National Essay Competition.

Akinpelu's school one of the six that represented the state at the competition. Others were School of Science, Pade, Queen School, apata, Kings International School, Moniya and Best Brain College, all in Ibadan, as well as Sharon Rose College, in Saki.

Also, Master Agmineha Tochukwu of Baptist Grammar School, Oke-Ado, Ibadan won the overall best in the state at the 2012 Basic Education Certificate Examination, while the Yejide Girls Grammar School team won bronze medal for the state at the Nestle Milo National Basketball Competition.

Besides, an Ibadan-based non-governmental organization, The Elizabeth Jayeola Foundation also rewarded the overall best student in the JSS III examination in the 2012 state public secondary school examinations.

Governor Abiola Ajimobi, while speaking at the recognition/award presentation ceremony in Ibadan at the week-end,  through the state Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Adetokunbo Fayokun,thanked the students for doing the state proud in the various examinations/competitions.

Your Comment

Ayokunle | 1/5/2014 5:17:00 AM
What was their reward from the government
akinpelu motolani | 6/5/2014 4:06:00 PM
A small oxford dictionary and a sum of 5000 naire
akinpelu motolani | 6/5/2014 4:11:00 PM
akinpelu motolani | 6/5/2014 4:13:00 PM
tope olugbode | 6/5/2014 8:43:00 PM
For that magnitude of achievement?,dats madness,an your governor is building a university in lebanon,shioooooooo
a critique | 6/5/2014 8:47:00 PM
5000naira? Who does that?..did she sweep your room for you or brought honour to the state? Y'all re crazy mahn?5k is so ridiculous..
Blessing | 6/5/2014 9:03:00 PM
Cant believe it,am I dreaming? A dictionary and 5000naira!!! Wat for? Is it for winning for the state or transportfare to the venue... It a big shame on YOU(The government of OYO STATE), despite all the millions you spend on parties, to reward someone from a public school who brought honour to the state for the first time in histry now became a problem... Una dey crazy..una father. I better rep my village than reping a whole state without been rewarded for it. But y the rumor of you given a price to the winner when you didn't .... Ah! Una father
Cant believe it,am I dreaming? A dictionary and 5000naira!!! Wat for? Is it for winning for the state or transportfare to the venue... It a big shame on YOU(The government of OYO STATE), despite all the millions you spend on parties, to reward someone from a public school who brought honour to the state for the first time in histry now became a problem... Una dey crazy..una father. I better rep my village than reping a whole state without been rewarded for it. But y the rumor of you given a price to the winner when you didn't .... Ah! Una father
Oluwatobi | 6/5/2014 10:47:00 PM
To the Oyo state governor,Dis is nt a good one sir...ahhba
Oluwatobi | 6/5/2014 10:47:00 PM
To the Oyo state governor,Dis is nt a good one sir...ahhba
prof Gbolahan | 6/5/2014 10:54:00 PM
Nt a good reward,I believe this kid didn't prepare for the competitions in a day or in a week,so wat would 5000 naira do wen we have better delogitorial option for her..I believe if we reward this kids with great rewards,other students will fasten their sit belt....God help u as you do so
Seun | 6/6/2014 7:15:00 AM
Oyo State government, una no do well at all. Haba! One would have expected better from you. But it's really not too late to make amends. Please do.
prof Oladiti adeeyo. | 6/6/2014 7:33:00 AM
I was suprised when the media interviewed the young girl who brought in such a great honour to oyo state. Wole soyinka world essay competition. It has never been won by oyo state and in the next thirty years it may never come to the state. I believe the oyo state government can give a monetary schorlarship to the parent of motolani to sponsor her university education. A student from the public school who excelled so well should be encouraged by the oyo state government. It is a great feet of achievement to have won all the countries that participated. I am quite sure that prof wole soyinka has not heard that apart from the gifts the organisers gave that oyo government has not done anything. If it were to have bn won by other states. You would have seen Motolani Akinpelu on a national television. Nothing less than a schorlarship is good. God bless oyo state.
Prof smith | 6/6/2014 7:55:00 AM
I was embarressed to hear that it was only five thousand naira and a small dictionary that was given to Motolani Akinpelu for winning the wole soyinka world secondary school competition which was concluded months back. This can not motivate other public school students. It is morale killing in academic parlance. It is uncalled for. Oyo government may never win such an award again in the next 100yrs. Such a feet to be swept under the carpet is a great academic aberation. We will expect a full schorlarship completely monetized to be given to the child as a way of encouraging children in the state. What will the child do with 5000 naira. Might be some people have embezzled the money meant for such. A Don in the university with me said stealing is not allowed in the Ajimobi led administration. Oyo state please wake up. Nigeria must not hear this. It is a thing of great pride pride for oyo state to win such a laurel. Such achievement should not go without a great reward. Ajisebi oyo lariii. No state must copy this. Before it becomes a shame. Do something. How I wish I can access the governor of oyo state personally. I would have brought this to the attention of his exellency to act swiftly
Dr Aderounmu. UK | 6/6/2014 8:08:00 AM
I read this report with utmost dismay and tears came so quickly to my eyes. Is Oyo state a ground where talents are buried? How I wish that the young girl won for another state where she will be appreciated and given her great state reception by all in the academia and those in power in oyo state. Oyo state was the place where individuals like us applied for schorlarship many years back. I wonder what is happening that somebody like Motolani was not showcased as am international material. I don't trust people put at the head of the affairs of education in oyo state. The governor was supposed to receive the young lady and her parent for a state honour. I feel so ashamed to have been raised by the then western region when exellence is highly valued. I want to assume that the governor is not aware long live oyo state long live Nigeria
Dr joseph ikpeha USA | 6/6/2014 8:28:00 AM
A colleague of mine who is so angry with oyo state government brought this to my attention. I was actually thinking that the competition was won by England or Canada. I did not know that it was my great country nigeria that won and I did not know that it was oyo state that produced the young girl who gramartised all of us as we read her wonderful essay on memoirs for our future done to comemorate the 79 birthday of the nobel laurate Prof Wole soyinka. What has the oyo state government done for such a great honour. I saw the girls interview that she was given five thousand naira. I covered my face for the then commisioner of education and the governor senator Isiaka Ajimobi. We expected too much. I have colleagues who ar too angry to respond to thiss. Let me trust that the state is warming up to receive the girl for a state honour. It is so discouraging. We even learnt that the mother of the girl is a teacher with oyo government. We thought it should be a thing of pride that somebody from the public school did so well. Oyo government abba. The state could give a scorlarship to 0xford or harvard university. Let it be on recor d that it is not an achievement that can come to the state again in a long time.
Dr joseph ikpeha USA | 6/6/2014 8:28:00 AM
A colleague of mine who is so angry with oyo state government brought this to my attention. I was actually thinking that the competition was won by England or Canada. I did not know that it was my great country nigeria that won and I did not know that it was oyo state that produced the young girl who gramartised all of us as we read her wonderful essay on memoirs for our future done to comemorate the 79 birthday of the nobel laurate Prof Wole soyinka. What has the oyo state government done for such a great honour. I saw the girls interview that she was given five thousand naira. I covered my face for the then commisioner of education and the governor senator Isiaka Ajimobi. We expected too much. I have colleagues who ar too angry to respond to thiss. Let me trust that the state is warming up to receive the girl for a state honour. It is so discouraging. We even learnt that the mother of the girl is a teacher with oyo government. We thought it should be a thing of pride that somebody from the public school did so well. Oyo government abba. The state could give a scorlarship to 0xford or harvard university. Let it be on recor d that it is not an achievement that can come to the state again in a long time.
Emmanuel J. | 6/6/2014 8:42:00 AM
What was the prize given to her by Wole Soyinka himself? A's for the Oyo state govt...shame on them, they prefer spending money to beautify the state and building unnecessary structure s then investing in the education sectors...don't av much to say but Boooooo!! to them. And Ajumobi ll be forming Educationist ..fake Ass hypocrite Governor
What was the prize given to her by Wole Soyinka himself? A's for the Oyo state govt...shame on them, they prefer spending money to beautify the state and building unnecessary structure s then investing in the education sectors...don't av much to say but Boooooo!! to them. And Ajumobi ll be forming Educationist ..fake Ass hypocrite Governor
Bar Adeyemi | 6/6/2014 8:45:00 AM
Who could have represented the governor at such a shameful reward stand to give 5000 naira as a reward for winning such a competition. Even if it was a local competion. A schorlarship ought to have been recomended. How I wish I know the parent of the girl in oyo state I would have sponsored the girl to the disgrace of a whole state government. It is bad and talent killing. Can't d state just send ordinary five million to the parents educational account for the girl. If it is to give NURTW touts the government will not mind. Road transport touts who ar building hotels all over the states. This democracy thing is a sham. Oyo can do better. I am burdened for the future of this young ones. I wonder who is thinking for them. How I wish I can speak personally with the government
david ararume jos | 6/6/2014 8:52:00 AM
It is a shame to give 5000 naira as rewards for academic exellence. Are they beggers. Ahhh aberation. What some states are looking is what oyo state commonised. God will not bring that type of honour to the state again lailai. Opportunity wasted. Kudo to Motolani Akinpelu. God will settle your life. Don't allow your state to discourage your literary ability. U ar a star. Prof wole soyinka is proud of U
Eng Aladesuyi. | 6/6/2014 9:02:00 AM
So Senator Ajimobi cannot give a full shcorlarship to that girl. I am afraid for Nigeria. 5000 naira for a reward for such a honour done to Nigeria and oyo state. I can't remove my hand on my face for shame. Is it not the state where education is louded as if something serious is being done. Ajimobi should be well informed that it was an international competition and oyo government is priviledged to av won it. Never to come again. I celebrate you Motolani Akinpelu. On behalf of my engineering consortium. I say kudo. How I wish I am your father.
usman Lai sokoto | 6/6/2014 9:08:00 AM
Oyo state govt should have annouced a scorlaship for motolani Akinpelu instead of a useless 5000 naira. Who will take oyo people to heights. I tot u people in the south value education so much. Chaiii there is God oooooooooooooo
samuel jossy abuja | 6/6/2014 9:49:00 AM
Is that the way the state will reward her for winning such an award for the state. 5thousand naira. It is most shameful. I was told that ogun and osun gave gifts to Motolani and the organisers of the wole soyinka essay competition. Oyo govt can give a full scorlarship to this genious of a girl
lawrenko | 6/6/2014 10:01:00 AM
Chai!! Dis oyo govt don fall my hand again... Oju gbami ti fun ajimobi nd d likes... Instead make una build future for our generation... U r busy building stomach nd eating ur children's future.. chai there is god ooooo!
Chai!! Dis oyo govt don fall my hand again... Oju gbami ti fun ajimobi nd d likes... Instead make una build future for our generation... U r busy building stomach nd eating ur children's future.. chai there is god ooooo!
fajuyigbe samuel | 6/6/2014 10:09:00 AM
I know if it were to be the oyo state governor son or daughter,u would av given a lot.Are dis ones nt ur kid.I call dat selfishness #do good
I know if it were to be the oyo state governor son or daughter,u would av given a lot.Are dis ones nt ur kid.I call dat selfishness #do good
azuka | 6/6/2014 10:20:00 AM
Keep on doing ur best and writing, dnt let d money nd dictionary stop u, dnt worry abt dem, ur time to give out ur own awards to kids will soon be here.
azuka | 6/6/2014 10:27:00 AM
Keep on writing and following ur dream, dnt mind what ever you might get now as a reward, d fact dat u got d award is already a bonus to u. Try asking the other kids that tried bt failed; how dey would have loved getting d dictionary nd 5k nd ull be shocked on hw much dey would have loved it. U are a winner and dats d biggest price anybody can ever ask fr.
Etinosa | 6/6/2014 10:37:00 AM
Nooo Nooo its very unacceptable the government should give it a rethink 5000 naira would finish in a day come on yall better do something else she should be rewarded greatly.Biko kwanu
dagunro ikirun | 6/6/2014 10:41:00 AM
We were so sad to hear that it is five thousand naira that oyo state gave to motolani for winning Wole soyinkas international essay competition. I want to assume that oyo govt is still coming up with a schorlarship award for the oyo genious. But when another competition is here. It is very discouraging
d flex | 6/6/2014 10:41:00 AM
Wowowow that's unfair she deserves the best for her position....u killing a dream...but they spend on stupied things but can't give a girl what she deserves......a scholarship would be better for her.....
d flex | 6/6/2014 10:41:00 AM
Wowowow that's unfair she deserves the best for her position....u killing a dream...but they spend on stupied things but can't give a girl what she deserves......a scholarship would be better for her.....
miss potable | 6/6/2014 10:47:00 AM
Dat money is too small for wat u guys did!
miss potable | 6/6/2014 10:48:00 AM
miss portble | 6/6/2014 10:51:00 AM
miss portable | 6/6/2014 10:53:00 AM
dele buraimo | 6/6/2014 10:54:00 AM
I believe that oyo state can give a full schorlaship to the geniouss. Habaaa ajimobi
D.i | 6/6/2014 10:57:00 AM
Please dear do not be discourage,we all know our leader are just for thrselvs,maybe I should say they just finish eatin thr children future
D.i | 6/6/2014 10:57:00 AM
Please dear do not be discourage,we all know our leader are just for thrselvs,maybe I should say they just finish eatin thr children future
Daniel | 6/6/2014 12:11:00 PM
Please,is the said fellow (motolani akinpelu) an OYOMA WORKER? Even if she is, those guys get N6,500 as their monthly pay and with my calculation the state will still be owning her 1,500. But here is someone who made the state proud at the national level. And all thought she deserves is a dictionary and N5,000? You guys are big shame to humanity.
Daniel | 6/6/2014 12:12:00 PM
Please,is the said fellow (motolani akinpelu) an OYOMA WORKER? Even if she is, those guys get N6,500 as their monthly pay and with my calculation the state will still be owning her 1,500. But here is someone who made the state proud at the national level. And all thought she deserves is a dictionary and N5,000? You guys are big shame to humanity.
Anonymous | 6/6/2014 1:36:00 PM
What a shame on Oyo state government! I never knew nothing was done with respect to reward till this moment. Haba! I think scholarship all through my girl's education isn't too much for winning such tasking award. Come to think of it, does the state government feel the competition was a child's play? Do they think its an exercise whose answer is been derived overnight? It seems they don't know the amount of energy in terms of resources i.e financial, physical, spiritual and material invested in the competition. In all honesty, hadn't been its their own ward/child that won the award, I guess such person's face would have been seen on d cover page of the dailies and possibly flown aboard just for pleasure trip. Anyway my baby, with or without them God's best is in store for you. Just keep their dictionary and chicken feed #5,000 for the records.
daniel | 6/6/2014 2:00:00 PM
For a young girl from a public school to have won such a price and such honour the gov't should have giver her (1)a national recognition (2)improved and provided the school with basic lacking necessities but I still belive it's not too late to act becos their is still time reward such an honour with a small dictionary and a 5,000 naira is ridiculous and shame to the state
S.O.P. | 6/7/2014 8:26:00 PM
All I know is there God will reward d effort of dis lady... Lady please don't quit.
All I know is there God will reward d effort of dis lady... Lady please don't quit.
S.O.P. | 6/7/2014 8:27:00 PM
mato | 6/8/2014 8:15:00 AM
Pls grant the girl a scholarship to further her education
mato | 6/8/2014 8:22:00 AM
Pls grant her a scholarship to further her education
sopainnn | 7/20/2017 2:15:00 AM
all the state money goes into personal projects,instead of the real project that the money is originally meant for,pls help the girl and dont ignore her
Nothing is everything
By: Emeka Okpara