TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Topics | Hot Topics | Search | Archive

Ngige, APC Guber Candidate Slaps Catholic Priest

By James Eze

As the November 16, 2013 gubernatorial election draws nearer, the APC candidate, Senator Chris Ngige seems to be losing grip on the race as shown in a strange incident which led to his slapping of a Catholic priest, Rev. Fr. Evaristus Ezekwona at a burial ceremony in Nanka, Agulu, Anambra State on Thursday.

Senator Ngige who seems to be on a rollercoaster since he emerged the APC flag-bearer in the coming polls, grinding from one controversy to another, was said to have become furious when he erroneously concluded that Rev. Fr. Ezekwona was deliberately standing in his way and suddenly snapped, pouncing on the hapless priest, strangling him first and then unleashing a torrent of slaps on both sides of the face.

The incident took place at the at the burial of the mother of the Catholic Bishop of Awka Diocese, Bishop Paulinus Ezeokafor in Nanka which attracted prominent sons and daughter the state including politicians.

An eye witness, Obiora Onwuama, who observed the scuffle, revealed that after unleashing his fury on Rev. Fr. Ezekwona, Ngige was not fully satisfied and promptly instructed his personal aides to torture him and they promptly pounced and inflicted more bodily injuries on him.

“We were all horrified at the sight. Senator Ngige must have acted blindly because the man was dressed in his cassock. There were screams of shock and horror from the onlookers but Senator Ngige could not be stopped. He must have mistaken Fr. Evaristus for a member of the opposition party,” Onwuama explained in total disbelief.

According to him, the earlier assumption that Senator Ngige may have acted in error soon gave way to a deeper fear when upon his instruction, his aides descended heavily on the hapless priest, punching and kicking him to the consternation of onlookers.

The APC gubernatorial candidate seems to be courting controversy with ease in recent times starting with his ill-conceived statement justifying the deportation of 79 Igbos from Lagos to the poorly timed kick-off of his campaign rally in Onitsha on the same day that the Ofala Festival was taking place which provoked the anger of the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Nnaemeka Achebe and his cabinet.

Ngige was also recently reported to have engaged the Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi in a futile tussle for prominence when he hijacked the governor's seat at a recent Mass conducted by Arch-Bishop Valerian Okeke at the Onitsha Prisons and rebuffed all entreaties to relinquish the seat.

The diminutive Senator has also been fingered for pulling down and pouring black oil on the APGA candidate's billboards placed in strategic locations across the state.

Your Comment

Ben Abah | 10/25/2013 5:48:00 PM
Too bad that Ngige has forgotting so quickly what happened to the former governor of Enugu state when he took on a priest. Even if mistaken for the opposition, it is only the defficency of ideas that could lead to physical contacts. Without this all important ideas I wonder how Ngige whom I used to respect as a fellow opposition person, can rule the very vibrant people of Anambra state! I advise a quick apology, else the inherent debacle in this action might be too difficult for him to handle in Anambra state.
notgreed | 10/25/2013 7:32:00 PM
can his apology help this matter? why didnt the anambrans kill him atonce for mistake of opposition,? that would have settled the matter. shame on ngige, shame on apc shame on those who watched it happen and didnt do anything
Nwadhsh | 10/25/2013 7:33:00 PM
Ngige is a basta*d for misbehaving. This shows is not responsible.voting him in as a governor will a big blunder.he has not become a governor he has been displaying thugry,i wonder what he would do when he become governor.ngige would be slapping all the traditional rulers.ananbrans shine ur eyes well. Mo wi temi o(i ve said my own)
Sylvester | 10/25/2013 7:35:00 PM
Too bad, very bad, so bad, that a respected senator would be blinded by the lust for power, as to touch God's anointed. But the true is that whom the gods chose to destroy, they first make mad.
He is falling , i mean crashing to the ground wit speed.
Comrade david | 10/25/2013 8:06:00 PM
fake and false news! i was at d onitsha prison chaplaincy...peter was there before ngige, hw then can he take over the seat meant 4 d governor. lies!!!!!!! if this 1 is a framed story, i wonder hw true slapping a priest is? d Ngige we knw can not do such a thing in this critical time. Anambarians shine ur eyes do not b decieved!!! oppositions can frame up stories against a rival.
Joboke | 10/25/2013 8:24:00 PM
He is finished,too bad, too bad,too bad.this is the end of him both political and othewise. Ndi igbo si na ijiji anaghi anu ihe na eso ozu ala.Ngegi rest in peace
iyke | 10/25/2013 8:59:00 PM
As i continue to say .he is full of himself, because he thought he had arrived as the nest governor. That is why he is breaking all necessary protocol. He is promised to be recruited and he started to arrest everybody including anointed man of GOD . What will happen if he is a confirmed officer. All deportees are mad men but now who is mad?
Amanda Lonto | 10/25/2013 10:11:00 PM
This is a political gimmick. One of ways of tarnishing the image of your fellow contestant. Pls politicians avoid these jargons, let the electorant decide.
olayemi Asaaju | 10/26/2013 6:55:00 PM
Great pity. Sen. Ngige could degenerate to this despicable low. This is Nigeria. I wont b surprised if he stl bcoms Anambra Gov. com 2014. Wt wer d antecedents of Ibori? Didn't he rule Delta state 4 8yrs? Oga Ngige, ba wahala. Carry on. Ebeano
NWA SCHOOL.(from imo state) | 10/26/2013 8:54:00 PM
NGIGE,remember what happend to formal govnor.of imo state (ohakim) go and apologise wit him before it will be too late.MIND YOU that says its lie &its alegation,dont suport evil,and dont let evil befall you.help ngige to settle the matta quikly or.!
E>X>C>O>B>A | 10/26/2013 10:07:00 PM
now i know why political scientist is different with a political juganous, political juganous is a politician who doesn't no anything about politics and how to play it, is unfair Ngige, remember is known to even the small kids in the world, TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTING AND DO MY PROPHET NO HARM> be careful..........Go and apologies.
Obindigbo Ajif | 10/26/2013 11:42:00 PM
It's unfortunate how quickly people jump to conclusion. We should not loose sight of the desperate strategies employed by some of the candidates to pull down their opponents. First, it was the politics of deportation, targeted at destroying APC and it's candidate, Sen. Ngige? Now, these current allegations may be another well thought-out strategy to mer the chances of Ngige, the people's choice. Sen. Ngige has written his name with gold in the heart of the average Anambrarian, and cannot possibly descend so low to attack an ordained man of God, let alone in his cassock. Anambrarians shine your eyes! Do not be deceived!
oche | 10/27/2013 1:00:00 PM
God is the ultimate judge
Adinnu | 10/27/2013 5:55:00 PM
pure lies ... Ngige all the way
Okolo | 10/27/2013 10:54:00 PM
God help us. The confussion is too much
Noble | 10/28/2013 12:31:00 AM
I am not surprise, he is following the foot step of his leaders (Thug and Boko Haram, Tinubu and Buhari).
Edwin | 10/28/2013 9:20:00 AM
If this story is true, then Anambra voter must decide but if untrue as I think, then badbele politics is taken to far. Ngige is definately not going to ignore this very damaging report. In any case let us be careful God is waching. Edwin
Collins onwadinobodo | 10/29/2013 11:03:00 AM
James Exe good morning,I read ur story & quite interesting,in the beginning I thought u have offerable,it is at the end I really understood whom u're.y are u so childish,coward,primitive to a fault that u cant convince urself talkless another person. Even I not from anambra knows u're a liar,pls use other means bcos dis medium has failed u,nigerians can now believe day ngige is most qualified & popular day is y the fears.
Oladimeji Ekengba | 11/3/2013 1:36:00 PM
This is a pure lie and a desperate attempt to cast aspersion on the person of Ngige. Gov. Obi is obviously using this news site to get fraudulent support for his candidate who will loose in Jesus name. This is no politics but campaign of callumny.