TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

John Terry Offered New One-year Deal By Chelsea

Source: thewillnigeria.com
Listen to article

Chelsea have offered club captain John Terry a one-year contract extension.

Terry’s deal is up in the summer, and the club’s most decorated captain revealed at the start of February there was no new offer on the table.

A Chelsea statement at the time said “the channels of dialogue” would be kept open, and the former England skipper is now considering the offer of a 12-month extension.

A Chelsea spokesperson said: “(Director) Marina Granovskaia and (chairman) Bruce Buck met with John and his agent this week and offered him a one-year contract extension.

“With it coming so late in the season, this is a big decision for John and his family and it is something that they are now considering.”

Terry, 35, has made 703 appearances since his Chelsea debut in October 1998 and has always made it clear his priority is to remain at Stamford Bridge before the summer.

The club’s supporters have waged an increasingly vocal campaign for a new deal, while team-mate Gary Cahill told Sky Sports this week it would be “a blow” to lose his long-time defensive partner.

And it is now down to Terry to decide whether or not he has played his last game for the club he joined as a schoolboy and skippered to four Premier League titles and a Champions League.

The centre-half is banned for the final game of this season – against champions Leicester – after he was sent off for a second time this season against Sunderland.

Chelsea will pay tribute to Terry at Friday’s end-of-season awards ceremony. There had been rumours earlier this week that the tribute has been cancelled, which in turn sparked rumours he would be offered a new deal.

The club insists the tribute is purely to mark his 700th appearance for the Londoners.

SKYSPORTS