Brendan Rodgers Rejects Talk Of Disharmony At Liverpool
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has dismissed talk of dressing room unrest at the Premier League club.
The Reds are 11th in the table and out of the Champions League, but Rodgers insists his players remain united.
“I hear one or two bits and pieces about unrest and it is totally untrue,” said the Northern Irishman. “Our dressing room is very strong.”
Liverpool face Bournemouth in the League Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday before hosting Arsenal on Sunday.
Rodgers added: “These are competitive players who nearly won the league last year, so they won't be happy with losing.
“But the actual spirit in the group is very strong.
“That is one of the reasons why, when we get that confidence back, then we will go into the second half of the season and be much better.”
Liverpool finished second in the Premier League last season, slipping up in the final few games as Manchester City claimed the title.
They then sold striker Luis Suarez to Barcelona.
“Expectancy on us this year is based on how we worked last season,” said the former Reading and Swansea boss. “We know what we had last season and this year that dynamic has totally changed.”
He added that, as Liverpool boss, there would always be pressure but said he believed he would turn the club's fortunes around.
“As a manager, you will always have tough periods, but I have great confidence in how staff and players work,” he said.
“We just need a little bit of luck and a break and I think we will get that. When we get some consistent results we can push on.”
Rodgers also responded to comments from former Liverpool captain Paul Ince, who said striker Mario Balotelli was a disruptive influence and should be sold.
“As the coach and manager, I need to work to maximise what I can get out of the player, but that is the same with every single player,” he added.
“While he (Balotelli) is here at the club, that is all I will concentrate on.”