Not Less Than 50 Killed In Kawuri Today
At least 50 people have been killed in the early hours of Monday in Kawuri village of Konduga local government area of Borno state when members of Boko Haram attacked the village setting houses on fire and shooting redidents indiscriminately witnesses say.
Alhaji Lawal Tanko Commissioner of Police Borno state command who confirmed the incident said,"yes there has been an attack on Kawuri by boko haram but the number of dead are not yet known to the command however I know that no policeman was killed but several sustained injuries. I tried calling the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) but his line was not going through due to poor net work".
The Borno state governor Kashim was getting ready to visit the village but was advised by the security not to go yet as the military are still conducting an operation to flush the boko haram out of the village.
A protocol officer at the government house told Reuters "the governor's visit to Kawuri has been cancelled because the military has advised against it as they are still conducting an operation in the area".
Bulama Kuliri a resident of the village who spoke to Reuters said,"I believe more than 50 people have been killed in the attack because the whole village has been razed by the boko haram and there were still loud explosions from different directions as I left with bodies littering the villsge."
As at the time of filing this reporter military and police officers had entered a closed door meeting with the Borno State Governor over the incident.
Scores of people who escaoed the attack and came into maiduguri told Reuters that more than 50 people have been killed.
Last week alone 37 communities have been sacked by the boko haram insurgents and many people have been killed and wounded while hundreds are now refugees scattered across the state.
All efforts to get confirmation from the spokesman of 7 Division Nigerian Army failed as he is believed to be in a meeting with the General Officer Commanding ( GOC).