Nido World Wide Communique: Fulani Herdsmen Killings In Nigeria
The massacre of scores of human beings by Fulani herdsmen in Benue State on New Year’s Day in cold blood sent shockwaves across the Diaspora. Nigerians In Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), an umbrella organisation of Nigerians in Diaspora has noted with concerns that a few months ago, another group of Fulani herdsmen wreaked havoc by burning down Agatu village, killing and maiming hundreds of people. This senseless wholesale murders seem to have become a pattern in the last one year or so in Nigeria where innocent lives are wantonly taken in various parts of the country allegedly by the faceless Fulani herdsmen.
These killings across Nigeria, apart from being a colossal human and national tragedy, has further complicated the strategic objectives of NIDO, which is constituted at continental levels of NIDO Americas, NIDO Europe, NIDO Asia, and NIDO Africa, as the official organization set up by the Federal Government of Nigeria to represent the interests of all Nigerians in the Diaspora, to facilitate Foreign Direct Investment from the Diaspora to Nigeria, and to promote partnerships and bilateral co-operations in trade and commerce between Nigeria and the rest of the world.
At the meeting of NIDO Worldwide Governing Council held on 21st January 2018, Nigerians in Diaspora do resolve as follows;
1. That Nigerians in Diaspora call on President Muhammadu Buhari, the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria and the Chief Security Officer, to urgently take immediate steps to protect the rights of ALL Nigerians in line with Nigeria’s laws and Constitution.
2. That Nigerians in Diaspora as represented by NIDO World Wide Governing Council urged President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately increase efforts in line with the Nigeria’s Constitution and international laws to bring the violent bloodshed by Fulani herdsmen and any other group in Nigeria to an immediate end and with the same vigor and efforts he has used in addressing security challenged posed by Boko Haram terrorists. And to bring ALL perpetuators to face the full wrath of the law.
3. That Nigerians in Diaspora as represented by NIDO World Wide Governing Council urge President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately address the immediate and remote causes of the wanton killings of innocent lives by ensuring that equal rights for all citizens as enshrined in the Nigerian constitution are fully respected.
4. That Nigerians in Diaspora as represented by NIDO World Wide Governing Council hereby direct all NIDO Continental bodies to mandate all their NIDO Country Chairpersons and Chapter Presidents to submit a copy of this communique to their respective embassies with a cover letter from their local chapters for immediate transmission to the Federal Government of Nigeria to ensure that they are well documented, and acknowledgements received.
5. That Nigerians in Diaspora as represented by NIDO World Wide Governing Council hereby direct the NIDO World Wide Secretariat to disseminate this communique directly to the Executive, Legislative, and all Security arms of the Nigerian Government with immediate effect.
1. Inspector General of Police
2. Chief of Army Staff
3. Interior Affairs Minister
4. Senate President
5. Speaker of the House of Representatives
Dr. Kingsman Chikelu Engr.(Continental Chairman, NIDO Africa)
Engr. Obed Monago ( Continental Chairman NIDO America)
Hon. Kenneth Gbandi (Continental ChairmanNIDO Europe)
Engr. Abiodun Ogunsakin
General Secretary – NIDO Europe
Co-ordinating General Secretary – NIDO World Wide
NIDO World Wide Correspondence Email Address: [email protected]
NIDO World Wide Correspondence Tel. Numbers: +44 7949 783640 / +234 810 244 1400