Jonjo Shelvey Has Accepted A Violent Conduct Charge And Will Sit Out Swansea's Next Four Matches
Shelvey was charged after the FA reviewed footage of an incident in which he appeared to throw his elbow into the face of Liverpool's Emre Can during Monday's 4-1 loss at Anfield.
And the 22-year-old midfielder will now have to sit out the New Year's Day game at QPR plus home fixtures with West Ham and Chelsea, and an FA Cup trip to Tranmere.
Shelvey maintains that the incident was accidental and tweeted after the match: “Just wanna say I didn't intentionally elbow Emre Can – I was just trying to get my arm across to get round him.
“It's come off as if I'm trying to hurt another player and I can assure you that isn't the case. I apologised to Emre Can for catching him.”
But his club released a statement on Wednesday which read: “Swansea City has reluctantly accepted the charge issued by The Football Association against Jonjo Shelvey for violent conduct following an incident in Monday night's Barclays Premier League defeat at Liverpool.
“The Football Association said the incident with Liverpool's Emre Can, which happened in front of the referee, “was not seen by the match officials but caught on video”.
“While the club supports Shelvey's statement that the incident was unintentional, it does not believe the outcome of an appeal would prove positive for the club or player.
“Shelvey will now serve the customary three-match ban, plus an additional game for his second red card of the season.”
Swansea manager Garry Monk agrees with Shelvey that the incident was accidental.
He said after the match: “I don't think it was an intentional elbow at all and the referee was perfectly placed.
“There were no complaints from any of the players afterwards, so you have to trust the referee made the right decision – and we thought that he did.”
Shelvey was dismissed earlier this season when he picked up a pair of bookings during a 0-0 draw at Everton.