24TH EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL OF MINISTERS UNDERWAY IN ARUSHA
ARUSHA, Tanzania, April 20, 2012/African Press Organization (APO)/ -- The 24th Extraordinary Meeting of the EAC Council of Ministers opened today in Arusha, Tanzania. The meeting is scheduled to run from 20 to 25 April 2012.
Over a five-day period, the Council of Ministers meeting will consider:
• Recommendations on the appointment of one new Deputy Secretary General and renewal of contract for one Deputy Secretary General
• Recommendations of the application by the Republic of South Sudan to join the East African Community
• The East African Community Vehicle Load Control Bill 2012
• The revised draft Protocol on Cooperation in Defense
• The revised draft East African Community Protocol on Preventing and Combating Corruption
• A report of the extraordinary meeting of the Sectoral Council on Trade, Industry, Finance and Investment on the attainment of a Single Customs Territory
• A report on the elimination of Non Tariff Barriers
• The report of the Finance and Administration Committee
Opening the meeting, EAC Deputy Secretary General (Planning and Infrastructure) Dr. Enos Bukuku urged Partner States to do regular audits aimed at tracking progress in the integration process.
The meeting will be conducted three sessions as follows: the first session, of Senior Officials, will be held from 20-22 April, followed by the session of the Coordination Committee (Permanent Secretaries) from 23 -24 April, before concluding with the Ministerial session on 25 April 2012.