Official launch of the Pan African UniversityOn Wednesday 14 December 2011
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia, December 13, 2011/African Press Organization (APO)/ -- Invitation to the journalists
Journalists are invited to attend the official launch of the Pan African University and a press conference at the African Union Commission on 14 December. The launch will be officiated by H.E Dr Jean Ping- Chairperson of the African Union Commission; H.E Mr Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo- Chairperson of the African Union and H.E Professor Jean Pierre Ezin- Commissioner of Human Resources, Science and Technology at the African Union Commission.
Events will commence at 10am and will conclude with a press conference and lunch at 13:30.
The Pan-African University (PAU) is being established in fulfillment of the Arusha Convention, by creating an exemplary but uniquely different and modern educational structure which focuses on integrative teaching and cutting-edge research, and is strategically conceptualised within the context of the diverse African cultural values, linguistic pluralism, and aspiration for the scientific and technological breakthroughs towards the continent's development.
The PAU is modeled on the creation of centers for excellence in the under listed thematic areas, with each geographical sub-region of Africa hosting a thematic component and serving as a coordinating hub for high quality centers developing similar programs on the continent.
The five thematic areas and the regional hubs of PAU are:
• Space sciences (Southern Africa, with a host institution yet to be identified)
• Water and Energy Sciences, including climate change (North Africa, with a host institution in Algeria)
• Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation (Eastern Africa, with Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Kenya, as the host institution)
• Life and Earth Sciences, including health and agriculture (Western Africa, with University of Ibadan, Nigeria, as the host institution)
• Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences (Central Africa, with University of Yaounde I, Cameroon as the host institution)
A press conference will take place from 13.10- 13.40 pm in the Conference Center of the AU, immediately after the official launch of the Pan African University.
Journalists are invited to cover the opening ceremony of the Launching of the Pan African University (PAU) at 10am, and participate at the Press Conference at 13:30.
For more information, visit the AU website: www.au.int