COTE D IVOIRE: NIGERIA TO TABLE RESOLUTION ON USE OF FORCE AT UN
Nigeria, backed by France, is set to table a draft UN resolution, which would authorise possible use of military force to stop attack against civilians in Cote d' Ivoire.
The draft resolution will urge stronger enforcement of an arms embargo on the government of Laurent Gbagbo, in addition to use of 'all necessary measures and sanctions'' to stop his forces from attacking civilians.
It will also urge the Security Council to facilitate the immediate transfer of power to Alassane Ouattara, the UN certified and internationally recognised winner of last November's election in the West African country.
Nigeria diplomats, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in New York, Thursday, said the draft resolution would be tabled on Friday or latest Monday.
The move came on the heels of Thursday's statement by ECOWAS leaders in Abuja for the Council to take immediate steps to force the out-going president Gbagbo to cede office Ouattara.
ECOWAS leaders, led by President Goodluck Jonathan, had described the situation in Cote d Ivoire as a 'regional humanitarian emergency'' caused by Gbagbo's refusal to yield power.
Security Council diplomats, however, told NAN there were likely to be dissents on a military option on Cote d Ivoire.
The UN is still divided on the enforcement of last week's resolution that authorised air strikes on Libyan targets as a deterrent to Mummar Gaddafi's use of force against civilians.
The two-veto wielding members of the Council, China and Russia, are known to be opposed to any form of meddling into internal affairs of countries and their position is unlikely to shift on Cote d Ivoire.
Brazil, Germany and India, who abstained from the Security Council vote on a no-fly zone authorising use of 'all necessary measures'' to protect civilians in Libya, may not also be very keen to support a military option on Cote d Ivoire.