By NBF News

The Congress of Progress Change (CPC) chieftain in Abeokuta, Ogun State capital, Chief Anthony Adefulu, who was shot by kidnappers on Tuesday last week, has undergone a successful surgery during which pellets of bullets stuck in his cheek were removed.

It will be recalled that Chief Adefulu, who was on a business trip to Rivers State, was kidnapped with three others along the popular Port-Harcourt-Enugu Road. He was unlucky as bullets fired by the kidnappers after the driver of the car they were traveling attempted to make a detour after sighting them hit him. Despite the critical condition of the Egba chief, his captors drove him along with others into the bush where, after seizing his phones and those of the others, asked his driver to take him to the hospital.

On getting to the hospital, doctors and nurses, who attended to him discovered that four pellets of bullets were lodged in his cheek and attempt to have him operated upon was said to be hampered by his blood pressure. But after the initial intensive care, he was transferred to another hospital where doctors battled to save his life and an operation was recommended. Daily Sun learnt that although the operation was successful, Adefulu could still not talk, but communicates with his family members, including his wife and son, in writing.

It was further learnt that three other persons, who were kidnapped along with Adefulu were released late Saturday after a ransom of N3 million was paid to their abductors.

One of the survivors, who spoke with Daily Sun on condition of anonymity, expressed gratitude to God for making their release possible. 'My brother, it was a terrible experience. I never imagined I would be a victim of these heartless Nigerians, who have made kidnapping their business. It took the intervention of God for us to be released. They threatened to kill and maim us if we failed to provide the ransom, which they initially put at N10 million.

While expressing gratitude to God, he lamented the critical condition of Adefulu whom he described as a father to them. 'We shall continue to pray for his quick recovery. I know God will take absolute control of his situation and he will come out alive to narrate his terrible experience to you,' he concluded.