EXPLOSION: COP LOSES 2 KIDS TO FIRE IN RIVERS
Two children of a policeman in Port Harcourt were burnt to death last Saturday in a late night fire incident. Also, the policeman, Sergeant Maxwell Udoh and his wife are lying critically ill in separate hospitals following severe burns suffered from the inferno.
It was gathered that at about 11p.m on the fateful day, an explosion occurred at the No.6, Bernard Carr Street, Port Harcourt residence of the family.
This caused the fire that immediately engulfed the entire apartment leading to the death of the two children while their parents sustained varying degrees of burns. The explosion was later traced to suspected adulterated petroleum product being used by the family.
It was not certain as at press time whether the explosion was from a generator or kerosene lamp. However, unofficial sources stated that most members of the family were asleep when the explosion occurred and the consequent fire started.
The fire was later put off by the combined efforts of men of the Fire Service and neighbours.
Speaking on the incident, Police Public Relations Officer in the State, Dr. Rita Inoma-Abbey (SP) said that Sergeant Umoh who is attached to the state CID, Port Harcourt, was later rushed to the Police Clinic while his wife was taken to Saint Patricks Hospital for medical treatment.
Before now, no fewer than four fire incidents induced by suspected adulterated kerosene had been recorded in the State in recent times.