TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

CHARGES SOUGHT OVER MANILA SIEGE

By NBF News

Investigators in the Philippines want to charge at least 10 people in connection with the deaths of eight Hong Kong tourists during a bus hijacking last month.

Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said she would press for criminal and administrative charges against at least 10 officials, police and journalists.

She did not identify the individuals to be charged, or detail the charges.

The result of an official inquiry into the incident is expected on Friday.

Ms de Lima, who is heading the investigation, told reporters: “We have [had] discussions on specific accountabilities of specific officers and [other] personalities… We expect the president to act on the basis of our recommendation.”

Last week, Ms de Lima said there was a strong possibility that at least some of the hostages may have been killed by “friendly fire”.

Police said the eight tourists who died were shot by the hijacker during the rescue operation.

Disgraced ex-policeman Rolando Mendoza, 55, hijacked a bus on 23 August, armed with an assault rifle, in an attempt to get back the job he lost in 2009 for extortion and threat-making.

The incident strained ties between Manila and Beijing, and China has called for a fair and comprehensive report.