The PDP NEC Resolution On Zoning Et al.
ABUJA, August 13, (THEWILL) – The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, National Executive Committee met on Thursday, August 12, 2010 to deliberate on various contentious issues in the party including zoning and party online membership registration.
THEWILL today obtained a copy of the resolution from the party’s Wadata Plaza headquarters.
RESOLUTIONS OF THE 52ND MEETING OF THE NATIONAL EXECTUTIVE COMMITTEE
OF THE PEOPLES DEMOCRATIC PARTY HELD ON THURSDAY, 12TH OF AUGUST, 2010.
Gentlemen of the Press,
The 52nd meeting of the National Executive Committee of the PDP held yesterday here at the National Secretariat of our great Party.
2. The meeting was well attended with His Excellency, the President Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR, and the Vice President Arc. Namadi Sambo, GCON; all former National Chairmen of the Party, and Chairmen of Board of Trustees present. We also had the President of the Senate and Speaker, House of Representatives, the Deputy Senate President, and all PDP Governors in attendance.
3. The meeting reviewed the state of the nation and the Party and took decisions on a number of critical issues including:
i. The Proposed amendments to the PDP Constitution
ii. Requests for waivers from some Party members
iii. PDP Organization Reform and Optimization Project
iv. Brand repositioning of the PDP
v. Membership Enrolment and Management System (MEMS).
vi. Mid-Term Conference/Special Convention
4. As you are all aware, proposals for the amendment of the PDP
Constitution were earlier circulated to State Chapters in line with the outlined procedures for the amendment of our Constitution.
5. However, in view of current political developments in the country, especially the recently enacted electoral law, NEC considered the need to review some sections of the PDP Constitution and align them with the relevant provisions of the Electoral Act.
6. Consequently, Article 12.17, Article 12.40 and Article12.84 which confer status of automatic delegates to Ministers, Ambassadors, Chairmen of Boards, Commissioners, Special Advisors and Special Assistants to Party Congresses and National Conventions were recommended for deleting.
7. NEC considered waivers from various State Executive Committees for members who recently joined or rejoined the Party. After exhaustive debates, NEC approved waivers for the following persons.
From Bauchi State
i. Senator Suleiman Nazif Gamawa.
From Borno State
i. Hon. Umar Kumaila and
ii. Alhaji Mohammed Goni
From Abia State
i. His Excellency, Governor T. A Orji of Abia along with the members
of Abia State House of Assembly.
ii. Senator Uche Chukwumerije
iii. Senator Iheanacho Obioma
iv. Hon. Umeh Kalu
v. Rt. Hon Uzo Azubuike
vi. Hon. Aro Aronsi
From Yobe State
i. Senator Usman Albishir
ii. Senator (Dr.) Lawan Jalo Zarami
iii. Hon. Zakariya Galadima
iv. Rt. Hon. Tijani Zanna Zakariya
v. Hon. John Jonga
vi. Hon. Hassan Jonga
vii. Hon. Hassan Abba
viii. Hon. Abdullahi Kakumi Musa
ix. Hon. Sherif Abdullahi
x. Hon. Mustapha Bolibe
xi. Hajiya Adama Adamu
xii. M. Ngurnoma Maidala
xiii. Alhaji Sani A. Idi
8. Taking cognizance of the urgent need to re-invent the ideals, visions and missions of the founding fathers of our great Party and in order to transform it into not only an election winning machine but also a bastion of hope for good governance, transparency and accountability rooted in fundamentals of popular democracy, NEC considered and approved the engagement of CMC Connect and NEW Age Network LTD as Consultants on Brand Repositioning of the Party.
9. They are expected to work with the relevant Party organs on ways to enhance the image of the Party for greater effectiveness and competitive edge.
10. NEC also considered and approved proposals for the reorganization of the administrative arm of the National Secretariat.
11. The objectives are to restructure and re-organize the Party for greater efficiency by comprehensively reviewing the PDP vision, mission, manifesto and strategic objectives.
12. The reforms include provisions for training and appropriate placement of Secretariat Staff.
13. NEC also considered proposals for a Special National Convention to amend sections of the PDP Constitution.
14. However, a Programme for the Mid-Term Conference and Special Convention shall be outlined after the new Electoral Act is accented to by the President.
15. On the proposed online registration of members, NEC commended the idea of the project and the extent of work done so far by the NWC and the consultants and saluted the vision to modernize the membership register of the Party.
16. However, in view of time constraints and pressures anticipated from the forthcoming voter registration exercise, Party primaries and the forthcoming General Elections, NEC resolved to put on hold the exercise and resume fully after the General Elections in 2011.
17. NEC took time to review the origin and essence of the zoning principle as enshrined in the PDP Constitution. In view of historical antecedents and contemporary realities and in order to ensure justice, equity and fairness, NEC unanimously endorsed the retention of the zoning principle in the PDP Constitution.
18. NEC also observed that President Goodluck Jonathan GCFR is serving out the first four year term of the joint ticket with late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and therefore has the right to contest for the remaining four year term of their joint ticket in 2011. NEC however resolved that this will not of course exclude any other Nigerian from any part of the country from contesting the Presidential primaries for the 2011 General Elections.
Prof. Rufai Ahmed Alkali
National Publicity Sec