As Gov. Zulum moves to Konduga: N185m, food shared to business owners; 26, 000 displaced families; volunteer fighters (Photos)

By The Nigerian Voice
Listen to article

The Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum on Thursday moved from Bama to Konduga to continue his humanitarian and social protection interventions to residents denied the means of livelihood by Boko Haram.

The Governor was in Bama since Tuesday and had distributed trucks of food and over N200m to at least 70,000 bereaved families, and volunteers fighting Boko Haram.

Continuing in Konduga town, Headquarters of Konduga Local Government Area, Governor Zulum supervised the disbursement of N185m to 26,000 displaced persons, small and medium size business owners and groups of volunteers supporting the military’s fight against insurgents.

Governor Zulum disbursing cash to some of the beneficiaries in Konduga and Mandrari Town of Borno State.

Out of the N185m, the Governor supervised the disbursement of N80m and food items to 26,000 displaced households located in three centers: two in Konduga town and one in Mandrari.

The N80m was shared to 16,000 female heads of households, each of whom received food, a wrapper and a token of N5,000. While 10,000 male heads of households received a bag of rice, a bag of maize grill and a carton of spaghetti each.

The Governor, however, announced the forthcoming agricultural initiative, created to restore farming activities, so that people could eventually fend for themselves.

… N100m for business owners
To stimulate local businesses in Konduga, Governor Zulum allocated N100m for the distribution to small and medium sized business owners.

From the amount, 70 percent of business owners in the more populated Konduga Town were selected and the remaining 30 percent beneficiaries were drawn from Auno, Dalori and Kawuri towns, all in Konduga LGA.

Zulum however warned the traders to ensure they invest the money in their businesses.

… N5.2m for CJTF, hunters and vigilantes
To boost the moral of local volunteers helping in the fight against Boko Haram, Governor Zulum distributed N5.2m to a combined number of 523 members of the Civilian JTF, hunters and vigilantes.

A cross section of 523 members of the Civilian JTF, hunters and local vigilantes helping in the fight against Boko Haram insurgency in Borno State.

Each of them received N10,000, amounting to N5,233,000, accompanied by two bags of rice, two bags of grilled maize and two packets of spaghetti for each of the 523 fighters.

Professor Zulum also directed each of the volunteer groups to submit a list of their broken down patrol vehicles for immediate repairs, in addition to getting new ones where necessary.

The Governor concluded the event with a call for prayers towards the return of peace in the State, especially taking advantage of the spiritual atmosphere of the forthcoming Ramadan.