Gov. Zulum Inaugurates Committee On Establishment Of College Of Medicine, Teaching Hospital At State Varsity
Governor Babagana Umara Zulum of Borno State on Wednesday inaugurated a Technical Committee on the Establishment of Medical College and Teaching Hospital in in Borno State University which was established in 2016 with a view to begin programmes in Medicine and Surgery.
Inaugurating the committee at the Council Chamber of the Government House Maiduguri, th governor said Processor Ohman Kyari, a Healthcare Professor and former Chief Medical Director of University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) is the Chairman of the Technical Committee with other Medical Professionals and Engineers as members.
The committee was saddled with the responsibility of developing a blueprint that will include advise, feasibility study, cost /estimates and staffing of the proposed medical college and teaching hospital.
It will also to liaise with all stakeholders including the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN), the National Universities Commission (NUC) among others, towards the establishment or take-off of the Medicine and Surgery at the Borno State University (BOSU).
The Governor gave the committee three months to submit its implementable recommendations
Zulum had in November 2019, while inaugurating the state university’s senate to mark formal academic take-off, promised to work towards the commencement of medicine at the university located along Maiduguri-Damaturu highway.
He added that medical doctors and other medical professionals are still inadequate in the state or Government healthcare centers and hospitals especially at the local government areas.
According to him, "by establishing a medical college and a new teaching hospital, it is hoped that in the near future, the gap in the ratio of doctors to the citizens would be reduced drastically."
The Governor also said that when medicine is finally offered at the State University, funds used in sponsoring citizens for medical courses abroad and in other places, would remain in Borno and help improve the University and other aspects of education.
Gov. Zulum read out 13 terms of reference in which the inaugurated technical committee would work and gave a deadline of three months for submission of report.
The terms of reference are as follows:
1. To examine and advise on the feasibility of establishing Borno State College of Medicine and Borno State University Teaching Hospital.
2. To produce a blueprint for speedy realization of establishing Borno State College of Medicine and Borno State University Teaching Hospital, including appropriate timelines for the commencement of the two projects.
3. To produce all relevant technical documents, including appropriate designs, and likely costs implications for the two (2) projects.
4. To identity and advise on the appropriate sites for the two projects bearing in mind post assignment COVID-19 challenges.
5. To advise on the best strategies of getting qualified academic staff for all the departments in the Borno State College of Medicine.
6. To advise on minimum staff requirements for the smooth take-off of the Borno State University Teaching Hospital.
7. To advise on appropriate state-of-the-art equipment required for the two projects.
8. To consider and advise on the possibility of working out strong collaboration with University of Maiduguri Teaching
Hospital (UMTH) and University of Maiduguri towards the success of the two (2) projects.
9. To consider and advise on the possibility of securing support nationally and internationally towards the realization of the two (2) projects.
10. To liaise with all relevant regulatory bodies, including the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) and National University Commission (NUC) to facilitate the smooth and timely takeoff of the two (2) projects.
11. To consider any other matter relevant to its assignment.
12. To co-opt any other person or persons the committee deems useful for the success of its assignment.
13. To submit comprehensive report to the Executive Governor of Borno State His Excellency, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum) FSNE, mni, within three (3) months of its inauguration by the Governor.