TheNigerianVoice Online Radio Center

Okigwe Killings: Gov. Uzodinma Orders Security Agencies to Fish Out Culprits

By Martin Okorowu, The Nigerian Voice, Owerri
Listen to article

Calm has returned to Okigwe Local Government Area after gunmen went on rampage, Wednesday night, killing some persons and chasing residents into the bush.

The Governor of Imo State, Senator Hope Uzodimma who responded promptly to the incident with a visit on Friday, assured Okigwe people that government is on top of the situation, urging citizens to go about their normal businesses without any fear.

Governor Uzodimma promised adequate security for the entire Okigwe which he said is the primary objective of any purposeful government. He said: “We are concerned as a government because the primary responsibility of every reasonable government is to guarantee security for its citizens.

“When I heard that this ugly thing happened, I became very apprehensive, made phone calls, met with the Security Agencies and agreed to be here today to nip the problem in the bud.”

On the rumour that the attackers could be Fulani herdsmen, the Governor cautioned against fake news capable of causing disaffection.

He noted that based on the arrest made so far and the confessional statement of the suspects, it was discovered that the attack was masterminded and carried out by natives of the area.

On allegation that the Security Operatives did not respond promptly, Governor Uzodimma said: “Under my watch in Imo State, there must be security. I am aware that Security Agencies responded after the incident. They may not have responded the way you wished, but because intelligence drives every investigation, I want to announce to you that an arrest has been made and one of those that killed these people has been arrested and the telephone number of one of the victims has been recovered from him. This man is an indigene, he is from here”, the Governor stated.

Commending the Security Agencies for rising to the occasion, Governor Uzodimma charged them to get to the root of the matter and arrest the two remaining suspects who are still on the run.

While condoling with the bereaved families, the Governor promised that his administration will launch a security outfit on the 14th of March, 2020, in fulfillment of his pledge to bring criminality to a halt across the zones of the state.